Dr Mike Burt
I am involved in the study of face perception from many different perspectives. Recently, I have become interested in the perception of facial expressions. I also work on hemispheric biases in face perception, the perception of different facial attributes (e.g. age, gender, health and attractiveness) and aspects of face perception related to evolutionary psychology.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2005: The 11th European Conference on Facial Expression: Organiser of the The 11th European Conference on Facial Expression in Durham 2005.
- 2002: Invited talk: Perception of facial expressions: Burt, D. M. (2002). Perception of facial expressions: when is a face neutral? Invited talk presented to the Institute of Psychology, School of Medicine, Milan, Italy.
- 2002: Symposium chair “The development of emotional facial expression perception” at the BPS Developmental Section Conference, University of Sussex.:
- 2001: Burt, D. M., Frigerio, E., Montagne, B., Murray, L. K., & Perrett, D. I. (2001). Altered perception of dynamic facial expressions of emotion in alcoholism and depression.: Invited paper presented at a colloquium organised by Prof. Jacqueline Nadel at the Hopital de La Salpêtrière, Paris on behalf of the of the French Ministry of Research, Program for Cognitive Sciences.
- Evolutionary psychology
- Facial expression recognition
- Emotion and Social Cognition
- Psychology, Project and Statistics
- Vukovic, J., Boothroyd, L.G., Meins, E. & Burt, D.M. (2015). Concurrent parent–child relationship quality is associated with an imprinting-like effect in children’s facial preferences. Evolution and Human Behavior 36(4): 331-336.
- Martínez-Castilla, P., Burt, M., Borgatti, R. & Gagliardi, C. (2015). Facial emotion recognition in Williams syndrome and Down syndrome: A matching and developmental study. Child Neuropsychology 21(5): 668-692.
- Robinson, L.J., Gray, J.M., Burt, M., Ferrier, I.N. & Gallagher, P. (2015). Processing of Facial Emotion in Bipolar Depression and Euthymia. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 21(09): 709-721.
- Wiedemann, D., Burt, D.M., Hill, R.A. & Barton, R.A. (2015). Red clothing increases perceived dominance, aggression and anger. Biology Letters 11(5): 20150166.
- Boothroyd, L.G., Meins, E., Vukovic, J. & Burt, D.M. (2014). Developmental changes in children's facial preferences. Evolution and Human Behavior 35(5): 376-383.
- Sedda, A., Rivolta, D., Scarpa, P., Burt, M., Frigerio, E., Zanardi, G., Piazzini, A., Turner, K., Canevini, M. P., Francione, S., Lo Russo, G. & Bottini, G. (2013). Ambiguous emotion recognition in temporal lobe epilepsy: The role of expression intensity. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience 13(3): 452-463.
- Stets, M., Burt, M. & Reid, V. M. (2013). Infants Need More Variety - Increased Data Acquisition with Reduced Participant Attrition in Infant ERP Studies. Frontiers in Developmental Psychology 4: 117.
- Sutherland, Clare A. M., Oldmeadow, Julian A., Santos, Isabel M., Towler, John, Michael Burt, D. & Young, Andrew W. (2013). Social inferences from faces: Ambient images generate a three-dimensional model. Cognition 127(1): 105-118.
- West, J. T., Horning, S. M., Klebe, K. J., Foster, S. M., Cornwell, R. E., Perrett, D., Burt, D. M. & Davis, H. P. (2012). Age Effects on Emotion Recognition in Facial Displays: From 20 to 89 Years of Age. Experimental Aging Research 38(2): 146-168.
- Boothroyd, L.G., Vukovic, J., Meins, E.L. & Burt, D.M. (2012). Children’s facial preferences across development. Child Development
- Aljuhanay, A., Milne, E., Burt, D. M. & Pascalis, O. (2010). Asymmetry in face processing during childhood measured with chimeric faces. Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition 15(4): 439-450.
- Lau, J. Y. F., Burt, M., Leibenluft, E., Pine, D. S., Rijsdijk, F., Shiffrin, N. & Eley, T. C. (2009). Individual Differences in Children's Facial Expression Recognition Ability: The Role of Nature and Nurture. Developmental Neuropsychology 34(1): 37-51.
- Gagliardi, C., Maghini, C., Germiniasi, C., Stefanoni, G., Molteni, F., Burt, D. M. & Turconi, A. C. (2008). The Effect of Frequency of Cerebral Palsy Treatment: A Matched-Pair Pilot Study. Pediatric Neurology 39(5): 335-340.