Dr Mike Burt
I am involved in the study of face perception from many different perspectives. Recently, I have become interested in the perception of facial expressions. I also work on hemispheric biases in face perception, the perception of different facial attributes (e.g. age, gender, health and attractiveness) and aspects of face perception related to evolutionary psychology.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2005: The 11th European Conference on Facial Expression: Organiser of the The 11th European Conference on Facial Expression in Durham 2005.
- 2002: Invited talk: Perception of facial expressions: Burt, D. M. (2002). Perception of facial expressions: when is a face neutral? Invited talk presented to the Institute of Psychology, School of Medicine, Milan, Italy.
- 2002: Symposium chair “The development of emotional facial expression perception” at the BPS Developmental Section Conference, University of Sussex.:
- 2001: Burt, D. M., Frigerio, E., Montagne, B., Murray, L. K., & Perrett, D. I. (2001). Altered perception of dynamic facial expressions of emotion in alcoholism and depression.: Invited paper presented at a colloquium organised by Prof. Jacqueline Nadel at the Hopital de La Salpêtrière, Paris on behalf of the of the French Ministry of Research, Program for Cognitive Sciences.
- Evolutionary psychology
- Facial expression recognition
- Emotion and Social Cognition
- Psychology, Project and Statistics
- Burt, D.M. & Hausmann, M. (2018). Hemispheric Asymmetries in Categorical Facial Expression Perception. Emotion
- Jucker, J. L., Thornborrow, T., Beierholm, U., Burt, D. M., Barton, R. A., Evans, E. H., Jamieson, M. & Boothroyd, L. G. (2017). Nutritional status and the influence of TV consumption on female body size ideals in populations recently exposed to the media. Scientific Reports 7(1): 8438.
- Innes, R. B., Burt, D. M., Birch, Y. K. & Hausmann, M. (2016). A leftward bias however you look at it: revisiting the emotional chimeric face task as a tool for measuring emotion lateralization. Laterality 21(4-6): 643-661.
- Boothroyd, L.G., Jucker, J.L., Thornborrow, T., Jamieson, M.A., Burt, D.M., Barton, R.A., Evans, E.H. & Tovée, M. J. (2016). Television exposure predicts body size ideals in rural Nicaragua. British Journal of Psychology 107(4): 752-767.
- Vukovic, J., Boothroyd, L.G., Meins, E. & Burt, D.M. (2015). Concurrent parent–child relationship quality is associated with an imprinting-like effect in children’s facial preferences. Evolution and Human Behavior 36(4): 331-336.
- Martínez-Castilla, P., Burt, M., Borgatti, R. & Gagliardi, C. (2015). Facial emotion recognition in Williams syndrome and Down syndrome: A matching and developmental study. Child Neuropsychology 21(5): 668-692.
- Robinson, L.J., Gray, J.M., Burt, M., Ferrier, I.N. & Gallagher, P. (2015). Processing of Facial Emotion in Bipolar Depression and Euthymia. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 21(09): 709-721.
- Wiedemann, D., Burt, D.M., Hill, R.A. & Barton, R.A. (2015). Red clothing increases perceived dominance, aggression and anger. Biology Letters 11(5): 20150166.