Published student research
One of the most tangible (and impressive) outcomes of the research-led ethos in the Physics Department is that each year a number of research papers are published, in leading scientific journals, which are co-authored by our undergraduate students, often (but not exclusively) based on work done during the final-year project. Some recent examples are listed below (the author whose name appears with an asterisk was the undergraduate student).
- E.M.Bridge*, J. Millen, C.S. Adams and M.P.A. Jones, A vapor cell based on dispensers for laser spectroscopy, Rev. Sci. Instr 80, 013101 (2009)
- Scott A. Silburn*, Christopher D. Saunter, John M. Girkin, and Gordon D. Love Multidepth, multiparticle tracking for active microrheology using a smart camera Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 033712 (2011)
- A catalogue of potential adaptive optics survey fields from the UKIRT archive", Christopher, N.M.*, Smail, I., 2006, MNRAS, 365, 439-446
- Magnetic structures of the anisotropic intermetallic compounds Er2CoGa8 and Tm2CoGa8, R.D. Johnson, T. Frawley*, P. Manuel, D.D. Khalyavin, C. Adriano, C. Giles, P.G. Pagliuso, and P.D. Hatton, Phys. Rev. B 82 (10) 104407 (6 pp) (2010)
- DNA modified silicon nanocrystals studied by X-ray luminescence and X-ray absorption spectroscopies: Observation of a strong infra-red luminescence band P.R. Coxon, M. Newman*, M.R.C. Hunt, N., O'Farrell, B.R. Horrocks, N.R.J. Poolton and L. Siller, Journal of Applied Physics 111 (2012) 054311
- Sutton A.D., Roberts T.P., Walton D.J.*, Gladstone J.C., Scott A.E.*, 2012, MNRAS, 423, 1154-1177 "The most extreme ultraluminous X-ray sources: evidence for intermediate-mass black holes?"
- Middleton M.J., Cackett E.M., Shaw C*., Ramsay G., Roberts T.P., Wheatley P.J., 2012, MNRAS, 419, 336-341 "Identifying a new intermediate-polar using XMM-Newton and INTEGRAL"
- Walton D.J.*, Roberts T.P., Mateos S., Heard V.*, 2011, MNRAS, 416, 1844-1861 "2XMM Ultraluminous X-Ray Source Candidates in Nearby Galaxies"
- A. Foerster et al. on behalf of the CTA Consortium, 'Mirror Development for CTA', Proc. 32nd ICRC, Beijing, vol. 9, p.129 (2011)
- A. Foerster, R. Canestrari, P. Chadwick & A. Knappy* on behalf of the CTA Consortium, Proc. 32nd ICRC, Beijing, vol. 9, p. 133 (2011)
- Danielson, A.L.R.*, Lehmer, B.D., Alexander, D.M., et al. 2012, MNRAS, 422, 494 "The Cosmic History of Hot Gas Cooling and Radio AGN Activity in Massive Early-Type Galaxies"
- An analytical model of off-resonant Faraday rotation in hot alkali metal vapours S.L. Kemp*, I.G. Hughes and S.L. Cornish J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 44 235004 (2011)