Prof Gordon Love, B.Sc. Ph.D. F.Inst.P. C. Phys.
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Responsibilities within department
I am the Deputy Head of the Science Faculty (UG)
I currently teach Level One Classical Mechanics, along with Tom Lancaster
My research group designs and constructs instrumentation for large telescopes which the UK is involved with around the World. My general interests are in Optics and Photonics for a variety of applications including astronomy and vision science. More specifically I work on adaptive optics, vision science, and liquid crystal optics. See our group pages, and my personal page for more info.
Department of Physics
- Centre for Advanced Instrumentation
Centre for Materials Physics
- Experimental structure and dynamics of biological soft matter
Department of Biosciences
- Durham Centre for Bioimaging Technology
- Adaptive Optics
- Astronomical Technology
- Liquid Crystal Technology
- Vision Science
- Zannoli, Marina, Love, Gordon D., Narain, Rahul & Banks, Martin S. (2016). Blur and the Perception of Depth at Occlusions. Journal of Vision 16(6): 17.
- Johnson, Paul V., Parnell, Jared AQ., Kim, Joohwan, Saunter, Christopher D., Love, Gordon D. & Banks, Martin S. (2016). Dynamic lens and monovision 3D displays to improve viewer comfort. Optics Express 24(11): 11808-11827.
- Banks, Martin S., Sprague, William W., Schmoll, Jurgen, Parnell, Jared A. Q. & Love, Gordon D. (2015). Why do animal eyes have pupils of different shapes?. Science Advances 1(7): e1500391.
- Mitchell, T.J., Saunter, C.D., O'Nions, W., Girkin, J.M. & Love, G.D. (2014). Quantitative High Dynamic Range Beam Proling for Fluorescence Microscopy. Review of Scientific Instruments 85(10): 103713.
- Cashmore, M.T., Hall, S.R.G. & Love, G.D. (2014). Traceable interferometry using binary reconfigurable holograms. Applied Optics 53(24): 5353-5358.
- Lavery, Martin PJ, Robertson, David J, Berkhout, Gregorius CG, Love, Gordon D, Padgett, Miles J & Courtial, Johannes (2012). Refractive elements for the measurement of the orbital angular momentum of a single photon. Optics express 20(3): 2110-2115.
- Young, Laura K., Liversedge, Simon P., Love, Gordon D., Myers, Richard M. & Smithson, Hannah E. (2011). Not all aberrations are equal: Reading impairment depends on aberration type and magnitude. Journal of Vision 11(13): 20.
- Love, Gordon D., Hoffman, David M., Hands, Philip J.W., Gao, James, Kirby, Andrew K. & Banks, Martin S. (2009). High-speed switchable lens enables the development of a volumetric stereoscopic display. Optics Express 17(18): 15716-15725.
- Taylor, J.M., Wong, L.Y., Bain, C.D. & Love, G.D. (2008). Emergent properties in optically bound matter. Optics Express 16(10): 6921-6929.
- 2015: Telescopic Windows: low vision scope to cloaks (£418041.28 from Epsrc)
- 2014: Scientific Properties of Complex Knots (£337854.00 from Leverhulme Trust)
- 2013: A programme of astronomical instrumentation and high energy astrophysics at Durham 2013-2015 (£961829.80 from STFC)