Nigel Glover, FRS
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Responsibilities within department
Director of Research
I am a member of the Centre for Particle Theory and the Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology. I work on the phenomenology of high energy particle interactions, particularly the strong and electroweak interactions with an emphasis on precision predictions of quantities that can be studied in current or forthcoming high energy experiments.
My interest in high energy particle physics dates from approximately 10.20 a.m. on the 17th November 1981 during a 3rd year lecture at Cambridge when Richard Ansorge explained that all matter was made of quarks and leptons. Shortly thereafter I began work on a Ph.D. under the enthusiastic direction of Professor Alan Martin FRS at Durham.
The main goals were (and still are) to study the fundamental forces and particles of nature using information gained in high energy particle physics experiments. My PhD thesis was titled Studies in high energy proton-antiproton collisions. This research has taken me back to Cambridge (185-87) and to the major international accelerator laboratories at CERN, Geneva (1987-89) and Fermilab, Batavia (1989-91). In 1991 I returned to Durham. I was promoted to Reader in 1996 and to Professor in 2002 and have since held a PPARC Senior Fellowship (2003-6) and a Wolfson Research Merit Award (2008-13). I was Director of the Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology (2005-10) and elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2013.
From 1 January 2014 I will coordinate the EU Framework 7 Initial Training Network HiggsTools which aims to provide excellent initial training to young researchers in the field of high energy particle physics, paving the road for new discoveries about the fundamental nature of the Universe at a time when new discoveries are expected, and when the new Standard Model of Particle Physics is going to be forged. I am also the PI for an ERC Advanced Investigator Grant (2014-19) MCatNNLO which aims to make more precise predictions for physical observables at the LHC and other particle collider experiments, thereby leading to a more precise extraction of fundamental physics parameters, such as the couplings of the Higgs boson to other fundamental particles.
- Elementary Particle Theory
- Currie, J., Glover, E. W. N. & Pires, J. (2017). Next-to-Next-to Leading Order QCD Predictions for Single Jet Inclusive Production at the LHC. Physical Review Letters 118(7): 072002.
- Gehrmann-De Ridder, A, Gehrmann, T, Glover, E.W.N., Huss, A & Morgan, T (2016). NNLO QCD corrections for Drell-Yan pTZ and ϕ∗η observables at the LHC. Journal of High Energy Physics 2016(11): 094.
- Chen, X., Cruz-Martinez, J., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N. & Jaquier, M. (2016). NNLO QCD corrections to Higgs boson production at large transverse momentum. Journal of High Energy Physics 2016(10): 66.
- Gehrmann-De Ridder, A., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N., Huss, A. & Morgan, T.A. (2016). Precise QCD predictions for the production of a Z boson in association with a hadronic jet. Physical Review Letters 117(2): 022001.
- Gehrmann-De Ridder, A., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N., Huss, A. & Morgan, T.A. (2016). The NNLO QCD corrections to Z boson production at large transverse momentum. Journal of High Energy Physics 2016(7): 133.
- Chen, X., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N. & Jaquier, M. (2015). Precise QCD predictions for the production of Higgs + jet final states. Physics Letters B 740: 147-150.
- Gehrmann-De Ridder, A., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N. & Heinrich, G. (2014). EERAD3 event shapes and jet rates in electron-positron annihilation at order α3s. Computer physics communications 185(12): 3331-3340.
- Gehrmann-De Ridder, A., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N. & Pires, J. (2013). Second-Order QCD Corrections to Jet Production at Hadron Colliders: The All-Gluon Contribution. Physical Review Letters 110(16): 162003.
- Glover,E.W.N & Pires, J (2010). Antenna subtraction for gluon scattering at NNLO. Journal of High Energy Physics 2010(6): 096.
- Dissertori, G., Gehrmann-De Ridder, A., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N., Heinrich, G. & Stenzel, H. (2010). Precise determination of the strong coupling constant at NNLO in QCD from the three-jet rate in electron-positron annihilation at LEP. Physical Review Letters 104(7): 072002.
- Gehrmann-De Ridder, A., Gehrmann, T., Glover, E.W.N. & Heinrich, G. (2008). Jet rates in electron-positron annihilation at O(alpha_s^3) in QCD. Physical Review Letters 100(17): 172001.
- 2015: HEPData 2.0: new technologies and services (£347361.06 from STFC)
- 2014: MCatNNLO: High Precision Simulation of particle collisions at the LHC (£823531.43 from European Commission)
- 2014: THE HIGGS QUEST - EXPLORING ELECTROWEAK (£161545.89 from European Commission)
- 2014: The Higgs Quest - exploring electroweak symmetry breaking at the LHC (£159554.71 from European Commission)
- 2014: The Higgs Quest - exploring electroweak symmetry breaking at the LHC (£646939.22 from European Commission)