Mr Steven Gillman, M.Sci.
(email at email@example.com)
Main Research Themes
My research interests include galaxy evolution, formation and galaxy interactions as well as large scale structure formation. My PhD project aims to understand the processes by which galaxies evolve from high redshift unstable turbulent systems to the well-ordered rotation dominated galaxies we see today.
To this end, I use both, state of the art spatially resolved spectrographic data, obtained from instruments such as KMOS and SINFONI, as well as ancillary multi-wavelength photometric data to map out and resolve the internal gas dynamics of high redshift galaxies. Studying galaxy dynamics over a range of redshift allows us to ascertain the methods by which galaxies evolve, either by secular in situ processes or more dramatic galaxy mergers.
- Extragalactic astronomy
- Galaxy Evolution
- 1: Mulroy, Sarah L., McGee, Sean L., Gillman, Steven, Smith, Graham P., Haines, Chris P., Démoclès, Jessica, Okabe, Nobuhiro & Egami, Eiichi (2017). Galaxy cluster luminosities and colours, and their dependence on cluster mass and merger state. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 472(3): 3246-3255.
- 2: Jauzac, Mathilde, Mahler, Guillaume, Edge, Alastair C, Sharon, Keren, Gillman, Steven, Ebeling, Harald, Harvey, David, Richard, Johan, Hamer, Stephen L, Fumagalli, Michele, Swinbank, A Mark, Kneib, Jean-Paul, Massey, Richard & Salomé, Philippe (2019). The core of the massive cluster merger MACS J0417.5-1154 as seen by VLT/MUSE. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 483(3): 3082-3097.
- 3: Tiley, Alfred L., Swinbank, A. M., Harrison, C. M., Smail, Ian, Turner, O. J., Schaller, M., Stott, J. P., Sobral, D., Theuns, T., Sharples, R. M., Gillman, S., Bower, R. G., Bunker, A. J., Best, P., Richard, J., Bacon, Roland, Bureau, M., Cirasuolo, M. & Magdis, G. (2019). The Shapes of the Rotation Curves of Star-forming Galaxies Over the Last ≈ 10 Gyr. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 485(1): 934-960.
- 4: Gillman, S, Swinbank, A M, Tiley, A L, Harrison, C M, Smail, Ian, Dudzevičiūtė, U, Sharples, R M, Best, P N, Bower, R G, Cochrane, R, Fisher, D, Geach, J E, Glazebrook, K, Ibar, Edo, Molina, J, Obreschkow, D, Schaller, M, Sobral, D, Sweet, S, Trayford, J W & Theuns, T (2019). The Dynamics and Distribution of Angular Momentum in HiZELS Star – Forming Galaxies at z = 0.8 – 3.3. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 486(1): 175-194.
- 5: Sweet, Sarah M, Fisher, Deanne B, Savorgnan, Giulia, Glazebrook, Karl, Obreschkow, Danail, Gillman, Steven, Tiley, Alfred L, Lagos, Claudia D P, Wang, Liang, Swinbank, A Mark, Bower, Richard & Sharples, Ray M (2019). Angular momentum of z ∼ 1.5 galaxies and their local analogues with adaptive optics. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 485(4): 5700-5714.