Publication details for Professor Tom LancasterMöller, J.S., Bonfà, P., Ceresoli, D., Bernardini, F., Blundell, S.J., Lancaster, T., De Renzi, R., Marzari, N., Watanabe, I., Sulaiman, S. & Mohamed-Ibrahim, M.I. (2013). Playing quantum hide-and-seek with the muon: localizing muon stopping sites. Physica Scripta 88(6): 068510.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0031-8949 (print), 1402-4896 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1088/0031-8949/88/06/068510
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The most fundamental limitations of a muon-spin relaxation experiment can be the lack of knowledge of the implantation site of the muon and the uncertainty about the muon’s perturbation of its host. Here we review some of the work done on the ‘muon site problem’ in
the solid state and highlight some recent applications of electronic structure calculations that
have successfully characterized the quantum states of muons in a number of insulating compounds containing fluorine, in a number of pnictide superconductors, and in ZnO.