Publication details for Prof Charles AdamsMohapatra, A. K., Jackson, T. R. & Adams, C. S. (2007). Coherent optical detection of highly excited Rydberg states using electromagnetically induced transparency. Physical Review Letters 98(11): 113003.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9007, 1079-7114
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.98.113003
- Keywords: RUBIDIUM ATOMS; SPECTROSCOPY; PLASMA; GAS
- View online: Online version
- Durham research online: DRO record
Author(s) from Durham
We demonstrate coherent optical detection of highly excited Rydberg states (up to n=124) using electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT), providing a direct nondestructive probe of Rydberg energy levels. We show that the EIT spectra allow direct optical detection of electric field transients in the gas phase, and we extend measurements of the fine structure splitting of the nd series up to n=96. Coherent coupling of Rydberg states via EIT could also be used for cross-phase modulation and photon entanglement.