Publication details for Prof Richard AbramAbram, R A, Rees, G J & Wilson, B L H (1978). Heavily doped semiconductors and devices. Advances In Physics 27(6): 799-892.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0001-8732, 1460-6976
- DOI: 10.1080/00018737800101484
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
High carrier concentrations and the fluctuations in random potential resulting from ionized impurities alter the density of states and electron wavefunctions in heavily doped semiconductors. The theoretical and experimental work on these effects is reviewed, special attention being paid to the consequences for the optical and transport properties. Semiconductor devices are often heavily doped and the influence of heavy doping is illustrated in the injection laser and bipolar transistor, which also serve as investigative tools.