Publication details for Prof Richard AbramWalmsley, M & Abram, R A (1997). Carrier dynamics model of fast refractive index changes in semiconductor laser amplifiers. IEE Proceedings - Optoelectronics 144(4): 189-196.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1350-2433
- DOI: 10.1049/ip-opt:19970510
- Keywords: Laser theory, Matrix algebra, Refractive index, Semiconductor device models, Semiconductor lasers.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Recent pump probe measurements of the fast optical response of semiconductor laser amplifiers are modelled using a density matrix approach in the relaxation approximation. The results obtained with the model in a variety of situations covering the three regimes below, at and above transparency are examined in terms of the optical response and the underlying carrier dynamics. The essential features of the optical response are explained using a simple physical picture and good qualitative agreement with experiment is demonstrated.