Publication details for Prof Richard AbramBettess, P & Abram, R A (2002). Finite and infinite elements for a simple problem in quantum mechanics. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering 18(5): 325-334.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1069-8299, 1099-0887
- DOI: 10.1002/cnm.488
- Keywords: Quantum mechanics, Finite elements, Infinite elements.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Finite element and infinite element models are used to predict the behaviour of a simple example problem in quantum mechanics, that of a linear harmonic oscillator. It is shown that good agreement with the analytical solution is obtained and that the infinite elements give a significant improvement in accuracy at virtually no cost. It is concluded that finite and infinite elements models are a promising method for quantum mechanics problems.