Publication details for Prof Tim RobertsGladstone, J.C., Roberts, T.P. & Done, C. (2011). Unlocking the nature of ultraluminous X-ray sources using their X-ray spectra. Astronomische Nachrichten 332(4): 345-348.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0004-6337, 1521-3994
- DOI: 10.1002/asna.201011496
- Keywords: Accretion disks, Black hole physics, X-rays, Binaries.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We explore the nature of ultraluminous X-ray sources through detailed investigations of their spectral shape using some of the highest quality data available in the XMM-Newton public archives. Phenomenological models allow us to characterise their spectra, while more ‘physically-motivated’ models enable us to explore the physical processes underlying these characteristics. These physical models imply the presence of extreme (probably super-Eddington) accretion on to stellar mass black holes.