Publication details for Prof Simon CornishKemp, Stefan L., Hughes, Ifan G. & Cornish, Simon L. (2011). An analytical model of off-resonant Faraday rotation in hot alkali metal vapours. Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 44(23): 235004.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0953-4075 (print), 1361-6455 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1088/0953-4075/44/23/235004
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We report a thorough investigation of the Faraday effect on the 852 nm D2 transition in a hot caesium vapour, culminating in the development of a simple analytical model for off-resonant Faraday rotation. The model, applicable to all hot alkali metal vapours, is seen to predict the rotation observed in caesium, at temperatures as high as 115 °C, to within 1% accuracy for probe light detuned by greater than 2 GHz from the D2 lines.