Publication details for Prof Simon CornishRakonjac, A., Marchant, A.L., Billam, T.P., Helm, J.L., Yu, M.M.H., Gardiner, S.A. & Cornish, S.L. (2016). Measuring the disorder of vortex lattices in a Bose-Einstein condensate. Physical Review A 93(1): 013607.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2469-9926 (print), 2469-9934 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevA.93.013607
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We report observations of the formation and subsequent decay of a vortex lattice in a Bose-Einstein condensate confined in a hybrid optical-magnetic trap. Vortices are induced by rotating the anharmonic magnetic potential that provides confinement in the horizontal plane. We present simple numerical techniques based on image analysis to detect vortices and analyze their distributions. We use these methods to quantify the amount of order present in the vortex distribution as it transitions from a disordered array to the energetically favorable ordered lattice.