Dr Tom Lancaster
(email at email@example.com)
PhD studentship available!
A funded PhD studentship is now available, starting October 2017, to work with my group in Durham. The project involves the investigation of skyrmions and is linked to The Skyrmion Project. Please contact me directly for more information.
Quantum field theory for the gifted amateur
A book by Stephen Blundell and myself, introducing the quantum theory of fields, is out now! Please see the book's website for further information.
News: A news item on the muon group's latest paper on the control of dimensionality in molecular magnets can be found here.
When atoms form a solid and electrons interact collective phenomena emerge. These phenomena include the phases of magnetic order, superfluidity and superconductivity, the emergence of new particles such as the magnon or the phonon and the occurence of topological objects such as kinks and vortices. Condensed matter physics is the investigation of this exotic world and provides the same fundamental insight into the Universe as the study of elementary particles or black holes.
I use muons to investigate condensed matter physics. Muons are subatomic particles that act as microscopic probes of magnetism. Subjects in which I'm interested include collective states of matter such as magnets, superconductors and glasses along with their excitations such as spin waves, vortices and diffusion. My work covers a wide range of scales from the quantum mechanical interaction of nuclei to the large scale dynamics of polymer chains.
Muons have a spin 1/2, which will Larmour precess in a magnetic field. They are also unstable and live for only 2.2 us (on average!). We detect their decay products and these tell us essentially which way each muon-spin was pointing at the moment of death. The technique we employ is known as muon-spin relaxation and involves stopping muons in materials where they precess until they decay. This tells us about the local magnetic fields in a material, making it useful for investigating magnets and the vortex phase in superconductors. Muons are produced using particle accelerators based at large facilities. I use the ISIS facility (http://www.isis.stfc.ac.uk/) in the UK, which is the world's most intense source of pulsed muons and neutrons and the Swiss Muon Source based at the Paul Scherrer Institut (http://www.psi.ch/).
Magnetism in reduced dimensions
Despite being one of the oldest discoveries in Physics, magnetism is relatively poorly understood. In some very beautiful systems, magnetic interactions may be constrained to act along a line of atoms (one-dimension) or in a plane of atoms (two-dimensions). These different dimensionalities are of fundamental importance and lead to exotic physical properties. An effective route to investigating these low-dimensional (i.e. 2D and 1D) phenomena is through the study of molecular magnets, which are self-assembled polymers formed through bridging paramagnetic cations (such as Cu2+) with organic molecular building blocks. The richness of carbon chemistry means that, in principle, molecular magnets can be nano-engineered to exhibit low dimensional properties.
In some magnets interactions tend to oppose each other's influence and are therefore in competition. Such systems are said to be frustrated; it is not possible to satisfy all of the magnetic interactions to find the material's ground state. Materials showing these effects offer an insight into the factors that cause systems to adopt a particular ground state (such as permanently magnetic or disordered). One particularly exciting possibility for a frustrated system is the formation of a spin liquid state. This is a long sought after phase of matter which shows no long range magnetic order down to zero temperature, but which is nonetheless stable. In fact, we believe that we recently may have found such a state in an organic magnet!
Understanding unconventional superconductors is perhaps the most urgent problem in condensed matter physics. Many of the clues suggest that the behaviour of these materials is caused by a subtle interplay of magnetism and superconductivity. Muons are ideal probes of such systems since not only are we able to probe magnetism, but we may also use muons to map the field distribution within the superconducting vortex state allowing an accurate determination of the superconducting penetration depth. My interests currently lie in the recently discovered iron arsenide superconductors, where magnetism, structural distortions and superconductivity coexist across a rich phase diagram.
Department of Physics
- Centre for Materials Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
Centre for Materials Physics
- Muon Physics
- Lancaster, Tom & Blundell, Stephen J (2014). Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur. Oxford University Press.
- Brambleby, J., Goddard, P. A. Singleton, J. Jaime, M. Lancaster, T. , Huang, L. Wosnitza, J. Topping, C. V. Carreiro, K. E. Tran, H. E. Manson, Z. E. & Manson, J. L. (2017). Adiabatic physics of an exchange-coupled spin-dimer system: Magnetocaloric effect, zero-point fluctuations, and possible two-dimensional universal behavior. Physical Review B 95(2): 024404.
- Möller, J.S., Lancaster, T., Blundell, S.J., Pratt, F.L., Baker, P. J., Xiao, F., Williams, R.C., Hayes, W., Turnbull, M.M. & Landee, C.P. (2017). Quantum-critical spin dynamics in a Tomonaga-Luttinger liquid studied with muon-spin relaxation. Physical Review B 95(2): 020402(R).
- Liu, J, Goddard, P.A., Singleton, J, Brambleby, J, Foronda, F, Moeller, J.S, Kohama, Y, Ghannadzadeh, S, Ardavan, A, Blundell, S J, Lancaster, T, Xiao, F, Williams, R.C, Pratt, F.L., Baker, P.J., Wierschem, K, Lapidus, S.H., Stone, K.H., Stephens, P.W., Bendix, J, Woods, T.J., Carreiro, K.E., Tran, H.E., Villa, C.J. & Manson, J.L. (2016). Antiferromagnetism in a Family of S = 1 Square Lattice Coordination Polymers NiX2(pyz)2 (X = Cl, Br, I, NCS; pyz = Pyrazine). Inorganic Chemistry 55(7): 3515–3529.
- Manson, Jamie L., Schlueter, John A., Garrett, Kerry E., Goddard, Paul A., Lancaster, Tom, Möller, Johannes S., Blundell, Stephen J., Steele, Andrew J., Franke, Isabel, Pratt, Francis L., Singleton, John, Bendix, Jesper, Lapidus, Saul H., Uhlarz, Marc, Ayala-Valenzuela, Oscar, McDonald, Ross D., Gurak, Mary & Baines, Christopher (2016). Bimetallic MOFs (H3O)x[Cu(MF6)(pyrazine)2]·(4 − x)H2O (M = V4+, x = 0; M = Ga3+, x = 1): co-existence of ordered and disordered quantum spins in the V4+ system. Chemical Communications 52(85): 12653-12656.
- Goddard, PA, Singleton, J, Franke, I, Möller, J S, Lancaster, T, Steele, A J, Topping, C V, Blundell, S J, Pratt, F L, Baines, C, Bendix, J, McDonald, R D Brambleby, J, Lees, M R, Lapidus, S H, Stephens, P W, Twamley, B W, Conner, M M, Funk, K, Corbey J F, Tran, H E, Schlueter, J A & Manson, J L (2016). Control of the third dimension in copper-based square-lattice antiferromagnets. Physical Review B 93(9): 094430.
- Mannig, A., Möller, J. S., Thede, M. Hüvonen, D. Lancaster, T, , Xiao, F , Williams, R.C. , Guguchia, Z Khasanov, R Morenzoni, E & Zheludev A (2016). Effect of disorder on a pressure-induced z = 1 magnetic quantum phase transition. Physical Review B 94(14): 144418.
- Dos Santos, L. H. R., Lanza, A, Barton, A.M., Brambleby, J., Goddard, P. A., Xiao, F., Williams, R. C., Lancaster, T., Pratt, F. L., Blundell, S. J., Singleton, J., Manson, J. L. & Macchi, P. (2016). Experimental and Theoretical Electron Density Analysis of Copper Pyrazine Nitrate Quasi-Low-Dimensional Quantum Magnets. Journal of the American Chemical Society 138(7): 2280-2291.
- Zhang, RH, Abbett, BM, Read, G, Lang, F, Lancaster, T, Tran, TT, Halasyarnani, PS, Blundell, SJ, Benedek, NA & Hayward, MA (2016). La2SrCr2O7: Controlling the Tilting Distortions of n=2 Ruddlesden-Popper Phases through A-Site Cation Order. Inorganic Chemistry 55(17): 8951.
- Zhang, RH, Read, G, Lang, F, Lancaster, T, Blundell, SJ & Hayward, MA (2016). La2SrCr2O7F2: A Ruddlesden-Popper Oxyfluoride Containing Octahedrally Coordinated Cr4+ Centers. Inorganic Chemistry 55(6): 3169.
- Williams, R. C., Xiao, F., Lancaster, T., De Renzi, R., Allodi, G., Bordignon, S., Freeman, P. G., Pratt, F. L., Giblin, S. R., Möller, J. S., Blundell, S. J., Boothroyd, A. T. & Prabhakaran, D. (2016). Magnetic phase diagram of La2-xSrxCoO 4 revised using muon-spin relaxation. Physical Review B 93(14): 140406(R).
- Zapf, V. S., Ueland, B. G., Laver, M., Lonsky, M., Pohlit, M., Muller, J., Lancaster, T., Moller, J.S., Blundell, S.J., Singleton, J., Mira, J., Yanez-Vilar, S. & Senarıs-Rodrıguez, M. A. (2016). Magnetization dynamics and frustration in the multiferroic double perovskite Lu2MnCoO6. Physical Review B 93(13): 134431.
- Williams, R.C., Xiao, F., Thomas, I.O., Clark, S.J., Lancaster, T., Cornish, G. A., Blundell, S.J., Hayes, W., Paul, A. K., Felser, C. & Jansen, M. (2016). Muon-spin relaxation study of the double perovskite insulators Sr2 BOsO6 (B = Fe, Y, ln). Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 28(7): 076001.
- Pratt, Francis L., Lancaster, Tom , Baker, Peter J., Blundell, Stephen J., Prokscha, Thomas, Morenzoni, Elvezio, Suter, Andreas & Assender, Hazel E. (2016). Nanoscale depth-resolved polymer dynamics probed by the implantation of low energy muons. Polymer 105: 516-525.
- Baker, Michael L., Lancaster, Tom, Chiesa, Alessandro, Amoretti, Giuseppe, Baker, Peter J., Barker, Claire, Blundell, Stephen J., Carretta, Stefano, Collison, David, Güdel, Hans U., Guidi, Tatiana, McInnes, Eric J. L., Möller, Johannes S., Mutka, Hannu, Ollivier, Jacques, Pratt, Francis L., Santini, Paolo, Tuna, Floriana, Tregenna-Piggott, Philip L. W., Vitorica-Yrezabal, Iñigo J., Timco, Grigore A. & Winpenny, Richard E. P. (2016). Studies of a Large Odd-Numbered Odd-Electron Metal Ring: Inelastic Neutron Scattering and Muon Spin Relaxation Spectroscopy of Cr8Mn. Chemistry - A European Journal 22(5): 1779-1788.
- Lancaster, T., Xiao, F., Salman, Z., Thomas, I.O., Blundell, S.J., Pratt, F.L., Clark, S.J., Prokscha, T., Suter, A., Zhang, S.L., Baker, A.A. & Hesjedal, T. (2016). Transverse field muon-spin rotation measurement of the topological anomaly in a thin film of MnSi. Physical Review B 93(14): 140412(R).
- Foronda, F.R., Lang, F., Möller, J.S., Lancaster, T., Boothroyd, A.T., Pratt, F.L., Giblin, S.R., Prabhakaran, D. & Blundell, S.J. (2015). Anisotropic local modification of crystal field levels in Pr-based pyrochlores a muon-induced effect modeled using density functional theory. Physical Review Letters 114(1): 017602.
- Brambleby, J., Goddard, P. A., Johnson, R. D., Liu, J., Lancaster, T., Manuel, P., Baker, P. J., Singleton, J., Schwalbe, S. G., Spurgeon, P. M., Tran, H. E., Peterson, P. K., Corbey, J. F. & Manson, J. L. (2015). Magnetic ground state of the two isostructual polymeric quantum magnets [Cu(HF2)(pyrazine)2]SbF6 and [Co(HF2)(pyrazine)2]SbF6 investigated with neutron powder diffraction. Physical Review B 92(13): 134406.
- Ali, N. Z., Williams, R. C., Xiao, F., Clark, S. J., Lancaster, T., Blundell, S. J., Sheptyakov, D. V. & Jansen, M. (2015). Magnetostructural relationship in the tetrahedral spin-chain oxide CsCoO2. Physical Review B 91(2): 024419.
- Lancaster, T. & Pexton, M. (2015). Reduction and emergence in the fractional quantum Hall state. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part B: Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 52(Part B): 343-357.
- Foronda, F. R., Ghannadzadeh, S., Sedlmaier, S. J., Wright, J. D., Burns, K., Cassidy, S. J., Goddard, P. A., Lancaster, T., Clarke, S. J. & Blundell, S. J. (2015). Robustness of superconductivity to structural disorder in Sr0.3(NH2)y(NH3)1−yFe2Se2. Physical Review B 92(13): 134517.
- Xiao, F., Möller, J. S., Lancaster, T., Williams, R. C., Pratt, F. L., Blundell, S. J., Ceresoli, D., Barton, A. M. & Manson, J. L. (2015). Spin diffusion in the low-dimensional molecular quantum Heisenberg antiferromagnet Cu(pyz)(NO3)2 detected with implanted muons. Physical Review B 91(14): 144417.
- Lancaster, T., Williams, R. C., Thomas, I. O., Xiao, F., Pratt, F. L., Blundell, S. J., Loudon, J. C., Hesjedal, T., Clark, S. J., Hatton, P. D., Ciomaga Hatnean, M., Keeble, D. S. & Balakrishnan, G. (2015). Transverse field muon-spin rotation signature of the skyrmion-lattice phase in Cu2OSeO3. Physical Review B 91(22): 224408.
- Lancaster, T., Goddard, P. A., Blundell, S. J., Foronda, F. R. Ghannadzadeh, S. Möller, J. S. Baker, P. J. Pratt, F. L. Baines, C. Huang, L. Wosnitza, J. McDonald, R. D. Modic, K. A. Singleton, J. Topping, C. V. Beale, T. A. W. , Xiao, F. , Schlueter, J. A. Barton, A. M. Cabrera, R. D. Carreiro, K. E. Tran, H. E. & Manson, J. L. (2014). Controlling Magnetic Order and Quantum Disorder in Molecule-Based Magnets. Physical Review Letters 112(20): 207201.
- Pratt, F. L. Micotti, E. Carretta, P. Lascialfari, A. Arosio, P. Lancaster, T., Blundell, S. J. & Powell, A. K. (2014). Dipolar ordering in a molecular nanomagnet detected using muon spin relaxation. Physical Review B: condensed matter and materials physics 89(14): 144420.
- Binghai, Yan, Paul, Avijit Kumar, Kanungo, Sudipta, Reehuis, Manfred, Hoser, Andreas, Többens, Daniel M., Schnelle, Walter, Williams, Robert C., Lancaster, Tom, Xiao, Fan, Möller, Johannes S., Blundell, Stephen J., Hayes, William, Felser, Claudia & Jansen, Martin (2014). Lattice-Site-Specific Spin Dynamics in Double Perovskite Sr2CoOsO6. Physical Review Letters 112(14): 147202.
- Sheckelton, J.P., Foronda, F.R. Pan, L.D. Moir, C., McDonald, R.D. Lancaster, T., Baker, P.J. Armitage, N.P. Imai, T., Blundell, S.J. & McQueen, T.M. (2014). Local magnetism and spin correlations in the geometrically frustrated cluster magnet LiZn2Mo3O8. Physical Review B: condensed matter and materials physics 89(6): 064407.
- Schroeder, A., Wang, R., Baker, P. J., Pratt, F. L., Blundell, S. J., Lancaster, T., Franke, I. & Möller, J. S. (2014). Probing the magnetic phases in the Ni-V alloy close to the disordered ferromagnetic quantum critical point with μSR. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 551(1): 012003.
- Lancaster, T., Giblin, S.R. Allodi, G. Bordignon, S., Mazzani, M., De Renzi, R., Freeman, P.G. Baker, P.J. Pratt, F.L. Babkevich, P., Blundell, S.J. Boothroyd, A.T., Moller, J.S. & Prabhakaran, D. (2014). Stripe disorder and dynamics in the hole-doped antiferromagnetic insulator La5/3Sr1/3CoO4. Physical Review B: condensed matter and materials physics 89(2): 020405(R).
- Lancaster, T., Blundell, S.J. & Pratt, F.L. (2013). Another Dimension: investigations of molecular magnetism using muon-spin relaxation. Physica Scripta 88(6): 068506.
- Lapidus, S.H. Manson, J.L., Park, H., Clement, A.J., Ghannadzadeh, S., Goddard, P., Lancaster, T. Moller, J.S., Blundell, S.J., Telling, M.T.F., Kang, J., Whangbo, M.H. & Schlueter, J.A. (2013). Antiferromagnetic ordering through a hydrogen-bonded network in the molecular solid CuF2(H2O)(2)(3-chloropyridine). Chemical Communications 49(5): 499-501.
- Burrard-Lucas, Maththew, Free, David G., Sedlmaier, Stefan J. Wright, Jack D., Cassidy, Simon J., Hara, Yoshiaki Corkett, Alex J. Lancaster, Tom, Baker, Peter J. Blundell, Stephen J. & Clarke, Simon J. (2013). Enhancement of the superconducting transition temperature of FeSe by intercalation of a molecular spacer layer. Nature Materials 12(1): 15-19.
- Ghannadzadeh, S., Möller, J.S., Goddard, P.A., Lancaster, T., Xiao, F., Blundell, S.J., Maisuradze, A., Khasanov, R., Manson, J.L., Tozer, S.W., Graf, D. & Schlueter, J.A. (2013). Evolution of magnetic interactions in a pressure-induced Jahn-Teller driven magnetic dimensionality switch. Physical Review B 87(24): 241102.
- Pratt, F.L., Lancaster, T. , Blundell, S.J. & Baines, C. (2013). Low-Field Superconducting Phase of (TMTSF)2ClO4. Physical Review Letters 110(10): 107005.
- Wright, J.D., Pitcher, M.J. Trevelyan-Thomas, W., Lancaster, T., Baker, P.J. Pratt, F.L. Clarke, S.J. & Blundell, S.J. (2013). Magnetic fluctuations and spin freezing in nonsuperconducting LiFeAs derivatives. Physical Review B 88(6): 060401.
- Xiao, F., Lancaster, T., Baker, P.J., Pratt, F.L., Blundell, S.J. Möller, J.S. Ali, N.Z. & Jansen, M. (2013). Magnetic transition and spin dynamics in the triangular Heisenberg antiferromagnet α-KCrO2. Physical Review B 88(18): 180401(R).
- Möller, J.S., Bonfà, P., Ceresoli, D., Bernardini, F., Blundell, S.J., Lancaster, T., De Renzi, R., Marzari, N., Watanabe, I., Sulaiman, S. & Mohamed-Ibrahim, M.I. (2013). Playing quantum hide-and-seek with the muon: localizing muon stopping sites. Physica Scripta 88(6): 068510.
- Moeller, J.S., Ceresoli, D., Lancaster, T., Marzari, N. & Blundell, S.J. (2013). Quantum states of muons in fluorides. Physical Review B 87(12): 121108.
- Goddard, Paul A., Manson, Jamie L., Singleton, John, Franke, Isabel, Lancaster, Tom, Steele, Andrew J., Blundell, Stephen J., Baines, Christopher, Pratt, Francis L., McDonald, Ross D., Ayala-Valenzuela, Oscar E., Corbey, Jordan F., Southerland, Heather I., Sengupta, Pinaki & Schlueter, John A. (2012). Dimensionality Selection in a Molecule-Based Magnet. Physical Review Letters 108(7): 077208.
- Pratt, F.L., Baker, P.J., Blundell, S.J., Lancaster, T., Ohira-Kawamura, S., Baines, C., Shimizu, Y., Kanoda, K., Watanabe, I. & Saito, G. (2011). Magnetic and non-magnetic phases of a quantum spin liquid. Nature 471(7340): 612–616.
- 2013: Durham Emergence Project (£297547.00 from John Templeton Foundation)