Prof. Suzanne Fielding
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Suzanne Fielding obtained her first degree in physics from Oxford University in 1997 and her PhD from Edinburgh University in 2000. Following postdoctoral research at Leeds University she spent four years lecturing in applied mathematics at Manchester University, before moving to the Department of Physics here at Durham University in 2009. In 2010 she received the Arthur B. Metzner award of the Society of Rheology. Financial support for her research has been provided by an EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Theoretical Physics (2003-2006), an EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship (2007-2012), and a European Research Council Starting/Consolidating Independent Researcher Grant (2012-2017).
Department of Physics
- Centre for Materials Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
Centre for Materials Physics
- Theory and simulation of soft condensed matter and biological physics
- Soft condensed matter physics
- Flow instabilities and flow-induced phase transitions
- Fluid-fluid demixing
- Viscoelastic turbulence
- Soft glassy rheology
- Biologically active suspensions
- Hemingway, E. J., Mishra, P, Marchetti, M. C. & Fielding, S. M. (2016). Correlation lengths in hydrodynamic models of active nematics. Soft Matter 12(38): 7943-7952.
- Hoyle, David M & Fielding, Suzanne M (2016). Criteria for extensional necking instability in complex fluids and soft solids. Part I: Imposed Hencky strain rate protocol. Journal of Rheology 60(6): 1347-1375.
- Hoyle, David M & Fielding, Suzanne M (2016). Criteria for extensional necking instability in complex fluids and soft solids. Part II: Imposed tensile stress and force protocols. Journal of Rheology 60(6): 1377-1397.
- Kusumaatmaja, H, Hemingway, E. J. & Fielding, S. M. (2016). Moving contact line dynamics: from diffuse to sharp interfaces. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 788: 209-227.
- Carter, Katherine A., Girkin, John M. & Fielding, Suzanne M. (2016). Shear banding in large amplitude oscillatory shear (LAOStrain and LAOStress) of polymers and wormlike micelles. Journal of Rheology 60(5): 883.
- Fielding, S. M. (2016). Triggers and signatures of shear banding in steady and time-dependent flows. Journal of Rheology 60(5): 821-834.
- Hemingway, E.J., Cates, M.E. & Fielding, S.M. (2016). Viscoelastic and elastomeric active matter: Linear instability and nonlinear dynamics. Physical Review E 93(3): 032702.
- Hemingway, E.J., Maitra, A., Banerjee, S., Marchetti, M.C., Ramaswamy, S., Fielding, S.M. & Cates, M.E. (2015). Active Viscoelastic Matter: From Bacterial Drag Reduction to Turbulent Solids. Physical Review Letters 114(9): 098302.
- Hoyle, David M. & Fielding, Suzanne M. (2015). Age-Dependent Modes of Extensional Necking Instability in Soft Glassy Materials. Physical Review Letters 114(15): 158301.
- Matas Navarro, Ricard & Fielding, Suzanne M. (2015). Clustering and phase behaviour of attractive active particles with hydrodynamics. Soft Matter 11(38): 7525-7546.
- Matas-Navarro, Ricard, Golestanian, Ramin, Liverpool, Tanniemola B. & Fielding, Suzanne M. (2014). Hydrodynamic suppression of phase separation in active suspensions. Physical Review E 90(3): 032304.
- Fielding, Suzanne M. (2014). Shear banding in soft glassy materials. Reports on Progress in Physics 77(10): 102601.
- Moorcroft, R.L. & Fielding, S. M. (2014). Shear banding in time-dependent flows of polymers and wormlike micelles. Journal of Rheology 58(1): 103-147.
- Moorcroft R. L. & Fielding S. M. (2013). Criteria for Shear Banding in Time-Dependent Flows of Complex Fluids. Physical Review Letters 110(8): 086001.
- Fielding, S. M., Moorcroft, R. L., Larson,R. G. & Cates, M. E. (2013). Modeling the relaxation of polymer glasses under shear and elongational loads. The Journal of Chemical Physics 138(12): 12A504.
- Fielding, S.M., Larson, R.G. & Cates, M.E. (2012). Simple Model for the Deformation-Induced Relaxation of Glassy Polymers. Physical Review Letters 108(4): 048301
- Moorcroft, R. L., Cates, E. M. & Fielding, S. M. (2011). Age-Dependent Transient Shear Banding in Soft Glasses. Physical Review Letters 106(5): 055502.
- Fielding, S.M. (2011). Criterion for Extensional Necking Instability in Polymeric Fluids. Physical Review Letters 107(25): 258301.
- Fielding, S.M., Marenduzzo D. & Cates M.E. (2011). Nonlinear dynamics and rheology of active fluids: Simulations in two dimensions. Physical Review E 83(4): 041910.
- Adams, J.M., Fielding, S.M. & Olmsted, P.D. (2011). Transient shear banding in entangled polymers: A study using the Rolie-Poly model. Journal of Rheology 55: 1007-1032.
- Fielding, SM & Wilson, HJ (2010). Shear banding and interfacial instability in planar Poiseuille flow. Journal Of Non-newtonian Fluid Mechanics 165(5-6): 196-202.
- Fielding, S.M. (2010). Viscoelastic Taylor-Couette instability of shear banded flow. Physical Review Letters 104(19): 198303
- Fielding, SM, Cates, ME & Sollich, P (2009). Shear banding, aging and noise dynamics in soft glassy materials. Soft Matter 5(12): 2378-2382.
- Fielding, SM (2008). Role of inertia in nonequilibrium steady states of sheared binary fluids. Physical Review E 77(2): 17.
- Cates, ME, Fielding, SM, Marenduzzo, D, Orlandini, E & Yeomans, JM (2008). Shearing active gels close to the isotropic-nematic transition. Physical Review Letters 101(6): 068102
- Adams, JM, Fielding, SM & Olmsted, PD (2008). The interplay between boundary conditions and flow geometries in shear banding: Hysteresis, band configurations, and surface transitions. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 151(1-3): 101-118.
- Rouyer, F, Cohen-Addad, S, Hohler, R, Sollich, P & Fielding, SM (2008). The large amplitude oscillatory strain response of aqueous foam: Strain localization and full stress Fourier spectrum. European Physical Journal E 27(3): 309-321.
- Fielding, SM (2007). Complex dynamics of shear banded flows. Soft Matter 3(10): 1262-1279.
- Fielding, SM (2007). Vorticity structuring and velocity rolls triggered by gradient shear bands. Physical Review E 76(1): 8.
- Wilson, HJ & Fielding, SM (2006). Linear instability of planar shear banded flow of both diffusive and non-diffusive Johnson-Segalman fluids. Journal Of Non-newtonian Fluid Mechanics 138(2-3): 181-196.
- Fielding, SM & Olmsted, PD (2006). Nonlinear dynamics of an interface between shear bands. Physical Review Letters 96(10): 4.
- Cates, ME & Fielding, SM (2006). Rheology of giant micelles. Advances In Physics 55(7-8): 799-879.
- Fielding, SM (2005). Linear instability of planar shear banded flow. Physical Review Letters 95(13): 4.
- Fielding, SM & Olmsted, PD (2004). Spatiotemporal oscillations and rheochaos in a simple model of shear banding. Physical Review Letters 92(8): 4.
- Fielding, SM & Olmsted, PD (2003). Early stage kinetics in a unified model of shear-induced demixing and mechanical shear banding instabilities. Physical Review Letters 90(22): 4.
- Fielding, SM & Sollich, P (2003). Equivalence of driven and aging fluctuation-dissipation relations in the trap model. Physical Review E 67(1): 6.
- Fielding, SM & Olmsted, PD (2003). Flow phase diagrams for concentration-coupled shear banding. European Physical Journal E 11(1): 65-83.
- Fielding, SM & Olmsted, PD (2003). Kinetics of the shear banding instability in startup flows. Physical Review E 68(3): 20.
- Sollich, P, Fielding, S & Mayer, P (2002). Fluctuation-dissipation relations and effective temperatures in simple non-mean field systems. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 14(7): 1683-1696.
- Fielding, SM (2002). Interrupted coarsening in a driven kinetically constrained Ising chain. Physical Review E 66(1): 8.
- Fielding, S & Sollich, P (2002). Observable dependence of fluctuation-dissipation relations and effective temperatures. Physical Review Letters 88(5): 4.
- Fielding, SM, Sollich, P & Cates, ME (2000). Aging and rheology in soft materials. Journal Of Rheology 44(2): 323-369.