Prof Tom McLeish, FInstP, FRS
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tom McLeish is Professor of Physics at Durham University and also chairs the Royal Society’s education committee. After a first degree in physics and PhD (1987) in polymer physics at Cambridge University, a lectureship at Sheffield University, in complex fluid physics, lead to a chair at Leeds University from 1993.
He has since won several awards both in Europe (Weissenberg Medal) and the USA (Bingham Medal) for his work on molecular rheology of polymers, and ran a large collaborative and multidisciplinary research programme in this field from 1999-2009 co-funded by EPSRC and industry.
His research interests include: (i) molecular rheology of polymeric fluids); (ii) macromolecular biological physics; (iii) issues of theology, ethics and history of science. He has published over 180 scientific papers and reviews, and is in addition regularly involved in science-communication with the public, including lectures and workshops on science and faith. In 2014 OUP published his book Faith and Wisdom in Science. He has been a Reader in the Anglican Church since 1993, in the dioceses of Ripon and York.
From 2008-2014 he served as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research at Durham University. In 2011 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. In 2012 he was made Vice-President of Science by the Institute of Physics (IoP).
Soft Condensed Matter Physics
Polymer Molecular Rheology
Theology of Science
Biological Physics of Protein Dynamics, Self-assembly and Evolution
Medieval Science – the Ordered Universe Project
Theology and Science
Soft Matter, Complex Fluids and Biological Physics
Department of Physics
- Centre for Materials Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
Centre for Materials Physics
- Theory and simulation of soft condensed matter and biological physics
Department of History
- Rodgers, Thomas, Burnell, David, Wilson, Mark R., Pohl, Ehmke, Cann, Martin, Townsend, Philip D., McLeish, Tom C. B. & Toncrova, Hedvika (2011), Modelling allosteric signalling in protein homodimers, 40: 8th EBSA European Biophysics Congress. Budapest, Springer, 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA, 121.
Journal papers: academic
- Smithson, Hannah E., Gasper, Giles E. M. & McLeish, Tom C. B. (2014). All the colours of the rainbow. Nature Physics 10(8): 540-542.
- Rodgers Thomas L Burnell, David Townsend, Phil D, Pohl, Ehmke, Cann, Martin J, Wilson, Mark R & McLeish, Tom C B (2013). DDPT: a comprehensive toolbox for the analysis of protein motion. BMC Bioinformatics 14(1): 183.
- Hoyle, David M., Huang, Q., Auhl, D., Hassell, D., Rasmussen, H. K., Skov, A. L., Harlen, O. G., Hassager, O. & McLeish, T. C. B. (2013). Transient overshoot extensional rheology of long-chain branched polyethylenes: Experimental and numerical comparisons between filament stretching and cross-slot flow. Journal of rheology 57(1): 293-313.
- Smithson, Hannah E., Dinkova-Bruun, Greti, Gasper, Giles E. M., Huxtable, Mike, McLeish, Tom C. B. & Panti, Cecilia (2012). A three-dimensional color space from the 13th century. Journal of the Optical Society of America A 29(2): A346-A352.
- Hutchings, Lian R., Kimani, Solomon M., Hoyle, David M., Read, Daniel J., Das, Chinmay, McLeish, Thomas C. B., Chang, Taihyun, Lee, Hyojoon & Auhl, Dietmar (2012). Correction to In Silico Molecular Design, Synthesis, Characterization, and Rheology of Dendritically Branched Polymers: Closing the Design Loop (vol 1, pg 404, 2012). ACS macro letters 1(6): 742.
- Hutchings, Lian R., Kimani, Solomon M., Hoyle, David M., Read, Daniel J., Das, Chinmay, McLeish, Thomas C. B., Chang, Taihyun, Lee, Hyojoon & Auhl, Dietmar (2012). In Silico Molecular Design, Synthesis, Characterization, and Rheology of Dendritically Branched Polymers: Closing the Design Loop. ACS macro letters 1(3): 404-408.
- Nayak, Kapileswar, Read, Daniel J., McLeish, Tom C.B., Hine, Peter J. & Tassieri, Manlio (2011). A Coarse-Grained Molecular Model of Strain-Hardening for Polymers in the Marginally Glassy State. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics 49(13): 920-938.
- Schuetz, Peter, Greenall, Martin J., Bent, Julian, Furzeland, Steve, Atkins, Derek, Butler, Michael F., McLeish, Tom C.B. & Buzza, D. Martin A. (2011). Controlling the micellar morphology of binary PEO-PCL block copolymers in water-THF through controlled blending. Soft Matter 7(2): 749-759.
- Greenall, Martin J., Schuetz, Peter, Furzeland, Steve, Atkins, Derek, Buzza, D. Martin A., Butler, Michael F. & McLeish, Tom C.B. (2011). Controlling the Self-Assembly of Binary Copolymer Mixtures in Solution through Molecular Architecture. Macromolecules 44(13): 5510-5519.
- Auhl, D., Hoyle, David M., Hassell, D., Lord, T.D., Mackley, M.R., Harlen, O.G. & McLeish, T.C.B. (2011). Cross-slot extensional rheometry and the steady-state extensional response of long chain branched polymer melts. Journal of Rheology 55(4): 875-900.
- Read, Daniel J., Auhl, Dietmar, Das, Chinmay, den Doelder, Jaap, Kapnistos, Michael, Vittorias, Iakovos & McLeish, Tom C. B. (2011). Linking Models of Polymerization and Dynamics to Predict Branched Polymer Structure and Flow. Science 333(6051): 1871-1874.
- Hassell, David Geraint, Lord, T. D., Scelsi, L., Klein, D. H., Auhl, D., Harlen, O. G., McLeish, T. C. B. & Mackley, M. R. (2011). The effect of boundary curvature on the stress response of linear and branched polyethylenes in a contraction-expansion flow. Rheologica Acta 50(7-8): 675-689.
- Clarke, N., De Luca, E., Buxton, G., Hutchings, L.R., Gough, T., Grillo, I., Graham, R.S., Jagannathan, K., Klein, D.H. & McLeish, T.C.B. (2010). Chain Deformation in Entangled Polymer Melts at Re-entrant Corners. Macromolecules 43(3): 1539-1542.
- Khatri, Bhavin, Yew, Zu Thur, Krivov, Sergei, McLeish, Tom & Paci, Emanuele (2010). Fluctuation power spectra reveal dynamical heterogeneity of peptides. Journal of Chemical Physics 133(1): 015101
- Toncrova, Hedvika & McLeish, Tom C.B. (2010). Substrate-Modulated Thermal Fluctuations Affect Long-Range Allosteric Signaling in Protein Homodimers: Exemplified in CAP. Biophysical journal 98(10): 2317-2326.
- Hassell, D.G., Embery, J., McLeish, T.C.B. & Mackley, M.R. (2009). An experimental evaluation of the formation of an instability in monodisperse and polydisperse polystyrenes. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 157(1-2): 1-14.
- Hassell, D.G., Hoyle, D., Auhl, D., Harlen, O., Mackley, M.R. & McLeish, T.C.B. (2009). Effect of branching in cross-slot flow: the formation of ``W cusps''. Rheologica Acta 48(5): 551-561.
- Auhl, Dietmar, Chambon, Pierre, McLeish, Tom C.B. & Read, Daniel J. (2009). Elongational Flow of Blends of Long and Short Polymers: Effective Stretch Relaxation Time. Physical review letters 103(13): 136001
- Yew, Z.T. McLeish, T.C.B. & Paci, E. (2008). New Dynamical Window onto the Landscape for Forced Protein Unfolding. Physical Review Letters 101(24): 248104
- Wei, W. Ma, G.H. Hu, G. McLeish, T.C.B., Su, Z.G. & Shen, Z.Y. (2008). Preparation of Hierarchical Hollow CaCO3 Particles and the Application as Anticancer Drug Carrier. Journal of the American Chemical Society 130(47): 15808-15810.