We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Department of Physics

Information for Durham students about work abroad

Working or Practical Training Abroad as Part of a Durham Degree

A long training or working placement can be added to a Physics degree either within the degree of BSc Physics with Placement or within the degree of MPhys Physics with Placement. This additional year, if done abroad, can be used to gain a useful international experience. It may be devoted to working with a company or with a research laboratory for the equivalent of a full academic year, or both to working and to studying abroad. Much of the information provided in our studying abroad page also applies to international work placements within these degrees with Placement. In particular, as for study placements, work (or training) placements in the EU can be supported by the Erasmus scheme of the European Commission and the tuition fees are much reduced for the year abroad. The Department's Exchanges Coordinator will be happy to discuss the possibilities with any interested student.

International Extra Curricular Work Placements for Durham Students

We strongly encourage our students to complement the formation we provide by undertaking extra curricular periods of practical training or by working during vacations in a research or industrial laboratory, in Durham or elsewhere. In particular, doing an internship abroad is almost always immensely valuable.

For Durham undergraduates, opportunities for extra curricular work placements will necessarily be limited to placements during vacations (some of which could be funded through the Erasmus programme if organised sufficiently in advance).

Work placements in France or Spain will required a formal internship agreement (a "Convention de Stage" or "Convenio de Colaboración") which must be signed by the Department as well as by the student and by the receiving organisation. The Exchanges Coordinator can provide the relevant form and arrange for the necessary signature on the Durham side.