Department of Physics
Studying Physics at Durham University
Undergraduate study in the Department of Physics. For more information visit: www.durham.ac.uk/physics
- The Queen honours leading Durham University space scientist
- Winton sponsors prizes in Physics and Mathematical Sciences at Durham University
- Dr Mathilde Jauzac awarded first prize at the inaugural University Research Staff Awards
- Fully funded doctoral studentships to be made available in new Centre for Doctoral Training
- Materials that emit rainbows
- Physics and scale: from attophysics to atoms, biology and the Universe.
- Durham University astronomical research points to ancient origin for the 'Cold Spot'
- Chancellor of the Exchequer’s visit highlights Durham’s strengths in research and industrial partnerships
- Nuffield Summer Student Chantal Goulder wins National Science Prize at Big Bang Fair in Birmingham
- Durham to lead research programme in quantum science
Wednesday 28 June 2017
Wednesday 5 July 2017
- CfAI Management Meeting 1:00pm to 2:00pm, Room OCW108 (Ogden West L1 breakout space)
Create your own personalised prospectus now!
Universe lights up new Ogden Centre
The celebrations began on Thursday, 9 March, with a series of talks from leading figures including architect Daniel Libeskind, Lord Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal, and prominent astrophysicists Professors Hiranya Peiris, Mark Hannam and Carlos Frenk, Director of Durham University’s Institute for Computational Cosmology (ICC).
Lord Rees unveiled a plaque commemorating the official opening of the centre on South Road, Durham City, UK, on Friday, 10 March.
The opening celebrations also saw a free public showing of light and sound projection Worlds, Systems & Creations featuring stunning computer simulations of the Universe carried out at the ICC
On Friday 10 and Saturday 11 March, visitors were able to learn more about the Universe through a series of outreach activities including the chance to build a Universe with the Universe Creator, take a virtual reality "Tour of the Cosmos" and watch the 3-D movie Cosmic Origins; created by the ICC.