Department of Physics
Studying Physics at Durham University
Undergraduate study in the Department of Physics. For more information visit: www.durham.ac.uk/physics
- Nuffield Summer Student Chantal Goulder wins National Science Prize at Big Bang Fair in Birmingham
- Fully funded doctoral studentships to be made available in new Centre for Doctoral Training
- Durham to lead research programme in quantum science
- Materials that emit rainbows
- 3rd year Masters student William Cartwright awarded summer studentship by the Royal Microscopial Society for work on synthetic extracellular vesicles
- Universe’s ultraviolet background could provide clues about missing galaxies
- Level 3 Poster Prize winners 2017 receive their awards
- British Cryogenics Council awards major prize to Dr Mark Raine
- Hunting hidden supermassive black holes
- Professor Carlos Frenk will receive the 2017 Max Born Medal and Prize
Wednesday 3 May 2017
Wednesday 17 May 2017
Monday 22 May 2017
- Physics of Life Event 9:00am onwards, OCW017 (Ogden West L0 seminar room)
Create your own personalised prospectus now!
Universe lights up new Ogden Centre
The celebrations began on Thursday, 9 March, with a series of talks from leading figures including architect Daniel Libeskind, Lord Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal, and prominent astrophysicists Professors Hiranya Peiris, Mark Hannam and Carlos Frenk, Director of Durham University’s Institute for Computational Cosmology (ICC).
Lord Rees unveiled a plaque commemorating the official opening of the centre on South Road, Durham City, UK, on Friday, 10 March.
The opening celebrations also saw a free public showing of light and sound projection Worlds, Systems & Creations featuring stunning computer simulations of the Universe carried out at the ICC
On Friday 10 and Saturday 11 March, visitors were able to learn more about the Universe through a series of outreach activities including the chance to build a Universe with the Universe Creator, take a virtual reality "Tour of the Cosmos" and watch the 3-D movie Cosmic Origins; created by the ICC.