BA in Visual Arts and Film
Combining still and moving images, advanced academic study and practical skills development, the BA in Visual Arts and Film at Durham spans historical periods from classical Rome to the present, and is almost global in its geographical reach. You will have the opportunity to study not only Western art, film, and visual culture, but that of the Middle East, Russophone Eurasia, and East Asia. The very conceptions of the visual and the image students will explore in the programme are fundamentally shaped by this transnational perspective. With this transnational scope in mind, the programme offers extensive language-learning opportunities (and a year abroad if you choose the ‘with Year Abroad’ option). Within Durham it draws on the outstanding collections of the University’s Oriental Museum, its distinguished Western Art collections, and the curatorial expertise of its staff. No previous study of art is required: just a desire to explore the vast world of visual art and film.
Typical Course content
- An introduction to visual arts and culture
- Modules in the art of the moving image
- A variety of skills-based modules in art-writing, exhibitions and curating, digital research skills, and filmmaking
- A wide selection of modules in art history, photography, visual culture, and film studies
- A wide range of language-learning opportunities