Staff in the Department of Hispanic Studies
Go to the MLAC staff pages.
Dr Santiago Fouz Hernández, BA Santiago de Compostela; MA, PhD Newcastle upon Tyne
I am currently working on a project about Spanish erotic cinema. The main output will be a monograph entitled The Films of Bigas Luna (under contract with Manchester University Press). Other publications for this project include a special issue on Bigas Luna for Studies in Spanish and Latin American Cinemas (13.1 - published 2016), and an edited book, Spanish Erotic Cinema, (forthcoming in Edinburgh University Press in April 2017). As part of this project I am also working with Betty Bigas on a series of events in memory of Bigas Luna (1946-2013). The tribute events started at Roxie Theater in San Francisco in March 2015, and continued in Newcastle upon Tyne with an exhibition at Vane gallery and four film screenings at Tyneside Cinema in June 2016. The Newcastle events were part of the ¡Vamos! Festival. There are further events planned in Barcelona (12-14 December 2016) and Los Angeles (Spring 2017). For more info please visit the project website or follow @BigasLunaHomage on Twitter.
Other recent publications include a book jointly edited with Lucille Cairns entitled Re-thinking 'Identities': Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium (Peter Lang, 2014, 262 pp), about the re-shapping of identities (sexual, gender, ethnic, national, corporeal) in the transnational context of the 21st Century.
My main area of study to date has been masculinities and male bodies in contemporary film and popular culture. My work in that field produced the books Cuerpos de cine: masculinidades carnales en el cine y la cultura popular (Barcelona: Bellaterra, 2013, 380 pp) - single authored - and Live Flesh: The Male Body in Contemporary Spanish Cinema - co-authored with Alfredo Martinez-Exposito (London and New York: I B Tauris, 2007, 288 pp); as well as two edited volumes: the book Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema (London and New York: I B Tauris, 2009, 271 pp) and a special issue of the journal Studies in Hispanic Cinemas (3.3; 2007).
I am an editorial board member of the journal Studies in Spanish and Latin American Cinemas and advisory board member for the International Journal of Iberian Studies. I have acted as referee for books published by Edinburgh University Press, Hodder Arnold, I B Tauris, Wiley Blackwell and Temple Univesity Press. I have also reviewed journal articles submitted to journals including Arizona Journal of Hispanic Cultural Studies, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, Feminist Media Studies, Hispanic Research Journal, Hispanic Review, International Journal of Iberian Studies, Journal of Homosexuality, Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies, Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies, Men and Masculinities, Revista canadiense de estudios hispánicos, Scope, Secuencias, and Studies in Hispanic Cinemas.
I have been visiting scholar at the universities of California Berkeley (USA) and Pittsburgh (USA) in 2015, Harvard (USA) in 2012, CUNY Graduate Center (USA) in 2010, and Queensland (Australia) in 2005 and 2002.
I am a member of the AHGBI (Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland), ACIS (Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies), NECS (European Network of Cinema Studies) and SCMS (Society for Cinema and Media Studies).
I have supervised a PhD on Queer Spanish Cinema (defended and passed in June 2013) and co-supervised a PhD on Italian Horror Cinema (2014).
I am willing to supervise PhD thesis and Masters by Research on topics related to Contemporary Spanish Cinema and Contemporary Spanish Popular Culture, with a special focus on issues of gender, sexuality, the body and national identities.
I serve at the University Quality and Standards Subcommittee in representation of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and as Deputy Chair. Previous administrative responsibilities for the School have included: Director of Postgraduate Studies (2013-2016), Alumni Officer and Admissions Officer, and for Hispanic Studies: Year Abroad coordinator, Erasmus coordinator and Exams coordinator. I was also team leader of the quality assurance review of the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics (Spanish section) at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine Campus in 2014.
I currently teach the following undergraduate modules:
- SPAN2151 (Icons and Myths of the Hispanic World) Level II.
- SPAN3181 (Contemporary Spanish Cinema) Level III.
- MELA3161/3152 (Dissertation in Modern Languages) Level III.
- Excellence in Learning and Teaching Award (Durham Univeristy, 2013)
- Dean's List (Effective Lecturing) (University of Queensland, Australia, 2002)
- Contemporary European Cinema (Spanish and British)
- Erotic cinema
- Gender, sexuality and the body
- Haptic visuality
- Popular music
- Planned The Films of Bigas Luna, Manchester University Press.
- 2013 Cuerpos de cine: masculinidades carnales en el cine y la cultura popular, Edicions Bellaterra, 380 pp.
- 2007 (co-authored with Martínez-Expósito, Alfredo) Live Flesh: The Male Body in Contemporary Spanish Cinema, IB Tauris, 278 pp.
Chapter in book
- 2017 'Boys Interrupted: Sex between Men in post-Franco Spanish Cinema', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (ed.), Spanish Erotic Cinema, Edinburgh University Press.
- 2017 'Introduction. One Hundred Years of Sex', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (ed.), Spanish Erotic Cinema, Edinburgh University Press.
- 2016 'Performing Fatness: Oversized Male Bodies in Recent Spanish Cinema', in Dean Albritton, Alejandro Melero, & Tom Whittaker (eds.), Performance and Spanish Film, Manchester University Press, pp. 205-219
- 2015 'La mirada homoerótica en el cine de Ventura Pons: de Ocaña, retrat intermitent (1978) a Ignasi M. (2013)', in Lema-Hincapié, Andrés & Domènech, Conxita (eds.), Ventura Pons: Una mirada excepcional desde el cine catalán, Iberoamericana / Vervuert, pp. 305-328
- 2014 '‘Hombres deseados: el macho bajo sospecha en los cómics de Ralf König’', in Zurián, Francisco A. (ed.), Imagen, cuerpo y sexualidad. Representaciones del cuerpo en la cultura audiovisual contemporánea, Ocho y Medio / Complutense.
- 2014 (co-authored with Cairns, Lucille) ''Introduction'', in Cairns, Lucille & Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (eds.), Re-thinking ‘Identities’ Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium, Peter Lang, pp. 1-18
- 2014 (co-authored with Gras-Velázquez, Adrián) 'Screening Chueca: Marking the Queer Territory on Spanish Cinema of the 2000s', in Cairns, Lucille & Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (eds.), Rethinking ‘Identities’ Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium, Peter Lang, pp. 67-88
- 2012 (co-authored with Biddle, Ian D) 'Voicing gender: transgender performance and the national imaginary in the Spanish cinema of the democratic era', in Rob Stone & Lisa Shaw (eds.), Screening Songs in Hispanic and Lusophone Cinema, Manchester University Press, pp. 30-50
- 2011 'Ensnared Between Pleasure and Politics: Looking for Chicas Bigas Luna, Re-viewing Bambola', in Davies, Ann (ed.), Spain on Screen Developments in Contemporary Spanish Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 93-113
- 2011 'Queer in Spain: Identity Without Limits', in Lisa Downing & Robert Gillet (eds.), Queer in Europe, Ashgate, pp. 189-202
- 2009 '‘Caresses: The Male Body in the Films of Ventura Pons’', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (ed.), Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema, I. B. Tauris, pp. 143-157
- 2009 '‘Introduction: Mysterious Skin’', in Fouz-Hernández, Santiago (ed.), Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema, I. B. Tauris, pp. 1-10
- 2008 'School is Out: the English 'coming out' films of the 1990s', in Griffiths, Robin (ed.), Queer Cinema in Europe, Intellect Books.
- 2016 '´Boys Interrupted: Sex between Men in Recent Spanish Cinema´, paper at the Society for Cinema and Media Studies in Atlanta, USA. This paper will be presented in the panel 'Eroticism and Ideology in the History of Spanish Cinema', which I coordinate and co-chair with Annabel Martin (Dartmouth College, USA)'.
- 2016 'La madurez homosexual en la filmografía de Ventura Pons, paper at the Spanish Cinema, Gender and Ageing Studies conference (Aston University, UK)'.
- 2015 '"Erotic Passions: the Spanish Transition and the Early Work of Bigas Luna", public talk at the University of Pittsburgh, PA'.
- 2015 '‘Fat Masculinities in Contemporary Spanish Cinema’, talk at the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Kansas University, USA (April 2nd)'.
- 2015 '“Performing Fatness: Oversized Male Bodies and Hegemonic Masculinities in Recent Spanish Cinema”', pp. 288-310
- 2014 'Paper: 'Bigas Luna’s Early Erotic Passions: Bilbao(1978) and Caniche (1979)' and coordination of panel 'A Homage to Bigas Luna (1946-2013)'. Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Seattle USA 19-23 March 2014'.
- 2013 '‘Queering the Male Body in the Films of Ventura Pons’, NECS Annual Conference (European Network for Cinema Studies), Prague, Czech Republic, 20-22 June 2013 and coordination, with Esther Gimeno Ugalde (Boston College), of panel ‘New Political Landscapes in Spanish Cinema’'.
- 2013 '‘Haptic visuality and eroticism in the early work of José Juan Bigas Luna’, Cine-Excess VII, International Conference, Birmingham MAC Center, 15-17 November 2013'.
- 2013 '‘Queer Subjectivities in the cinema of Ventura Pons: From Ocaña to Ignasi M’, Dartmouth College, USA. 23 October 2013'.
- 2012 ''Haptic Visuality in the Recent Work of Bigas Luna', Columbia Film Seminar, Columbia University, USA. 6 December 2012'.
- 2012 ''Homoerotic Desire in the Films of Ventura Pons', paper at the 'Ventura Pons: The Unconventional Gaze of Catalan Cinema', University of Denver, Colorado, USA, October 4-6, 2012'.
- 2012 'Eroticism in Contemporary Spanish Cinema. Coordination and contribution to workshop. Harvard University 19 October 2012'.
- 2012 'Triggering the Senses: Eroticism and Haptic Visuality in the Recent Work of Bigas Luna, paper and coordination of panel on Eroticism in Spanish cinema with Brad Epps, Tatjana Pavlovic and Jorge Pérez. Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference, Boston, MA, USA 21-25 March 2012'.
- 2017 Spanish Erotic Cinema, Edinburgh University Press.
- 2014 (co-edited with Cairns, Lucille) Rethinking ‘Identities’ Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium, Peter Lang, 256 pp.
- 2009 Mysterious Skin: Male Bodies in Contemporary Cinema, I. B. Tauris, 288 pp.
- 2004 (co-edited with Jarman-Ivens, Freya) Madonna's Drowned Worlds: New Approaches to Her Cultural Transformations 1983-2003, Ashgate.
- 2015 Special Issue Studies in Spanish and Latin American Cinemas: Bigas Luna. Studies in Spanish and Latin American Cinemas, 13 (1).
- 2007 Male Bodies in Contemporary Spanish Cinema. Studies in Hispanic Cinemas, 3 (3).
- 2015 'Book Review BARBARA ZECCHI, Desenfocadas, Cineastas españolas y discursos de género. Barcelona: Icaria 2014. 246 pp. ISBN 978-84-9888-568-2', Bulletin of Hispanic Studies pp. 478-79
- 2014 'Book Review: Seeing in Spanish: From Don Quixote to Daddy Yankee. 22 Essays on Hispanic Visual Cultures. Edited by Ryan Prout and Tilmann Altenberg (2011), Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 321 pp', Bulletin of Spanish Studies 91, pp. 1115-1117
- 2011 'Assimilation and Its Discontents: Representations of Gay Men in Spanish Cinema of the 2000s', Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos 35, pp. 81-104
- 2010 'Hermaphroditism, Medical Science and Sexual Identity in Spain, 1850-1960, Richard Cleminson and Francisco Vázquez García (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2009)', International Journal of Iberian Studies 23, pp. 207-209
- 2009 '‘Me cuesta tanto olvidarte: Mecano and the Movida Remixed, Revisited and Repackaged’', Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies 10, pp. 167-187
- Cuerpos de cine (amazon UK LINK)
- Cuerpos de cine (LOOK INSIDE)
- Live Flesh
- Live Flesh: AMAZON SEARCH INSIDE
- Madonna's Drowned Worlds: AMAZON SEARCH INSIDE
- Mysterious Skin
- Mysterious Skin AMAZON SEARCH INSIDE
- Rethinking Identities (LOOK INSIDE)
Available for media contact about:
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: Spanish popular music
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: Issues of gender and sexuality in contemporary Spain
- Europe: Language, literature & culture: Contemporary Spanish cinema
- 2011: History of Eroticism in Spanish Cinema (£7150.00 from The British Academy)
- 2005: REPRESENTATIONS OF THE MALE BODY (£14013.00 from Arts & Humanities Research Board)
- 2005: REPRESENTATIONS OF THE MALE BODY (£4100.00 from The British Academy)