Staff in the Department of Hispanic Studies
Go to the MLAC staff pages.
Dr Nicholas Roberts, MA, MPhil Camb, PhD Lond
My research interests lie in modern Latin American fiction and poetry, in particular the poetry and essays of the Venezuelan author Eugenio Montejo and the fiction of Julio Cortázar. I am also interested in heteronymic writing both in the Americas and Europe.
I have recently published a book on the work of the Venezuelan poet and essayist Eugenio Montejo. My study highlights Montejo's search for an authentic poetic locus which is subject neither to the effects of time nor to the alienation from nature of the late twentieth century. In particular, I examine how Montejo's work serves to construct a poetic symbology which might ground such a locus.
I am currently working on the engagement with music in the work of Julio Cortázar. I aim to detail the often shifting terms in which Cortázar addresses different musical genres in his fiction and wider writings. My studies apply a critical lens to the claims Cortázar makes for jazz as an answer to the problems which beset linguistic expression.
Beyond these current projects I am also in the early stages of a study of the phenomenon of heteronymic writing. Paying particular attention to the cases of Eugenio Montejo, Antonio Machado, and Fernando Pessoa, I aim to analyse the theoretical, historical, and cultural underpinnings and ramifications of this literary genre.
Finally, I am looking to oversee a study of the relationship between poetry and politics in Venezuela from the beginning of the twentieth century to the present day, in collaboration with academics from Venezuela, the USA, and beyond.
I will be Head of the Department of Hispanic Studies from January 2014.
I am happy to supervise PhDs on a wide range of Latin American literature, both poetry and fiction.
- Culture and Difference
- Modern Latin American fiction and poetry
- Eugenio Montejo
- The literary engagement with music in Latin America
- Julio Cortázar
- Heteronymic writing in Latin America and beyond
Indicators of Esteem
- 2009: Invited Speaker: Invited to give a talk as part of a Conference-Workshop 'La palabra poética de Eugenio Montejo', 14 April 2009 at La Universidad de los Andes, Trujillo, Venezuela
- 2007: Invited Book Reviews: Bulletin of Spanish Studies:
- 2006: Member of the Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland:
- 2012 'City/Art: The Urban Scene in Latin America', Modern Language Review 107, pp. 957-959
- 2011 'Political Violence and the Construction of National Identity in Latin America, ed. by Will Fowler and Peter Lambert', Modern Language Review 106, pp. 892-894
- 2011 'Soledad Pérez-Abadín Barro, Cortázar y Che Guevara: lectura de ‘Reunión'', Bulletin of Spanish Studies 88, pp. 621-622
- 2010 'Rodney Williamson, The Writing in the Stars: A Jungian Reading of the Poetry of Octavio Paz', Bulletin of Spanish Studies 87, pp. 575-576
- 2009 'Pablo Neruda, Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperada ed. Dominic Moran', Bulletin of Spanish Studies 86, pp. 288-289
- 2009 Poetry and Loss: The Work of Eugenio Montejo, Tamesis, 234 pp.
- 2004 'Literary Betrayal: (De)voicing the marginal in Roberto Arlt's El juguete rabioso', in Orozco, Lourdes & Vedrenne, Laetitia (eds.), Marginalities, Durham Modern Languages Series, pp. 99-108
Essays in edited volumes
- 2011 'Nieve natal The poetic language of Eugenio Montejo', in Rodríguez Silva, Aníbal (ed.), Orfeo revisitado viaje a la poesía de Eugenio Montejo, Dirección General de Cultura y Extensión de la Universidad de Los Andes / Laboratorio Arte y Poética del Núcleo Universitario “Rafael Rangel”, pp. 129-160
Journal papers: academic
- 2013 'Variations on a Theme: Scored Music and Language in Julio Cortázar's "Clone"', Bulletin of Spanish Studies 90, pp. 1011-1034
- 2012 'Spectres, Politics and Poetics: Hamlet in the Poetry of Eugenio Montejo', New Readings 12, pp. 1-18
- 2009 'Subverted Claims: Cortázar, Artaud, and the Problematics of Jazz', Modern Language Review 104, pp. 730-745
- 2007 'Caballos y café Poetic responses to time and death in the poetry of Eugenio Montejo', Bulletin of Spanish Studies 84, pp. 1043-1064
- 2006 'De ruiseñor a cigarra: la poética venezolana de Eugenio Montejo', Aerea: Anuario hispanoamericano de poesía 9, pp. 298-302
- 2004 'Inhabiting the Poetic in the Work of Eugenio Montejo', Romance Studies 22, pp. 51-62
Other publications: research
- 2013 'Eugenio Montejo', The Literary Encyclopedia pp.
- 2013 'From Gómez to Chávez and beyond: Reading the poetry of Leoncio Martínez in Venezuela', Ventana Latina Revista Cultural 1.
Available for media contact about:
- Foreign Literature & Language: Latin American Literature
- International politics: Latin American Politics
- Foreign Literature & Language: Culture of Venezuela