Academic year 2018-2019
Note: This module, which until 2013 was fully funded by the Institut Ramon Llull, is offered subject to the continued availability of a Catalan lector and appropriate sources of alternative funding. The School of Modern Languages and Cultures cannot guarantee its ongoing availability to students returning from their Year Abroad.
About the module
This module is aimed at students who have previously studied Catalan for beginners (SPAN 2061), those who have lived in a Catalan-speaking area during their year abroad or for those who have passed an official examination of Catalan (Level B1).
The module aims to take the Catalan level of students to a high intermediate standrd and its objective is to expand both linguistic and cultural knowledges acquired in the module Catalan Beginners, as well as to offer an introduction to Catalan contemporary literature through a selection of short stories of the most acclaimed writers in Catalan.
The two weekly hours are distributed between one hour of communicative language and grammar session and a parallel hour devoted to learn about a wide range of topics in Catalan society based on a set of articles, songs, films and documentaries. In addition, there are six additional hours per year for the literary seminars.
Students wil have the opportunity to achieve an extra qualification by taking the International Catalan Certificate, administered by the Institut Ramon Llull.
- Bastons, N.; Bernardó, C.; Comajoan, L. (2011). Gramàtica pràctica del català. Teide.
The tutor will provide all the appropriate materials throughout the course. Other documents and extra materials will be available regularly in duo.
- Abril, J. (2010). Diccionari pràctic de qüestions gramaticals. Educaula.
- Xuriguera, J.B. (2001). Els verbs catalans conjugats. Edicions Claret.
- Wheeler, M; Yates, A; Dols, N. (1999). Catalan: A Comprehensive Grammar. London: Routledge.
- Poch, A; Yates, A. (2010) Complete Catalan: Teach Yourself. London: Hodder & Stoughton
- Ibarz, T; Ibarz, A. (2005) Colloquial Catalan: A Complete Book for Beginners. United States: Taylor Francis Ltd.
Ms Neus Colomer Collell (email tbc), room ER210, Elvet Riverside II
Further details of pre-requisites, co-requisites, aims, contact hours and assessment.