Staff in the Department of Russian
Dr Viktoria Ivleva
Clothing, Society and Culture in Eighteenth-Century Russia
This project examines sumptuary and appearance regulations, related practices and visual and literary representations of dress, in order to explore the ways in which Russian sovereigns harnessed practical and ideological meanings of clothing and appearance to promote social and political changes and implement new normative expectations. The project also studies the ways in which the population of Russia received and responded to these changes, and the extent to which various social groups challenged, internalized and transformed these practices. As a part of the project, I look closely at the role of sartorial discourse in cultural debates around questions of identity and changing social and gender roles.
- 18th-, early 19th-, and early 20th-century Russian literature and culture
- Catherine II
- Dress culture in imperial Russia
- Gender studies
- History of cultural import
- Material culture in Russia
- Pushkin, Nabokov
Chapter in book
- Accepted ''Clothing the Body Politic in Catherinian Russia: From Regimental Gowns to Regional Uniforms' (to be published in German)', in Braun, Bettina, Kusber, Jan, & Schnettger, Matthias (eds.), Weibliche Herrschaft im Vergleich: Maria Theresia und Katharina II, Bielefeld: Transcript.
- 2014 'Frills and Perils of Fashion: Politics and Culture of Eighteenth-Century Russian Court Through the Eyes of La Mode', in Ionescu, Christina & Baird, Iliana (eds.), Eighteenth-Century Thing Theory in a Global Context: From Consumerism to Celebrity Culture, Ashgate, pp. 113-132
- Submitted ''What did the Empress Wear on the Day of the Coup: On Two Readings of History'', Vivliofika: E-Journal of Eighteenth-Century Russian Studies
- 2019 ''Clothing the Body Politic in Catherinian Russia: From Regimental Gowns to Regional Uniforms' (revised and expanded)', Costume: The Journal of Costume Society 53.
- 2016 'Social Life of the Caftan in Eighteenth-Century Russia', Clothing Cultures 3, pp. 171-189
- 2015 'Catherine II as Female Ruler: The Power of Enlightened Womanhood', Vivliofika: E-Journal of Eighteenth-Century Russian Studies 3, pp. 20-46
- 2013 'The Locus of the Fashion Shop in Russian Literature from 1764 to 1806', Eighteenth-Century Studies 46, pp. 363-383
- 2009 'A Vest Reinvested in Nabokov’s Gift', Russian Review 68, pp. 283-301
- 2009 'Functions of Textile and Sartorial Artifacts in Russian Folk Tales', Marvels and Tales: Journal of Fairytale Studies 23, pp. 268-299
- 2006 'Literary Theory in Practice: Rethinking Tynjanov’s 'The Wax Figure.'', Russian Literature 60, pp. 127-157
- 2016 (co-authored with Murphy, Amanda) Special Issue: Dress Culture in Imperial Russia. Clothing Cultures, 3 (3): Intellect.