Modern Languages Research Seminars 2015-16
Monday 21 September 2015
- Chinese Studies Forum: New Explorations into Methods and Sources for Chinese Studies: the Complete Library of Four Treasuries and Beyond [Professor Victoria Hui;Dr Sare Aricanli;Mr David Helliwell]
Monday 12 October 2015
Tuesday 13 October 2015
Thursday 15 October 2015
Saturday 24 October 2015
- CVAC / Bowes Museum Symposium: 'Filming Fashion: Fashioning Film' The Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle
Sunday 25 October 2015
Tuesday 27 October 2015
Wednesday 28 October 2015
Tuesday 3 November 2015
- IMEMS Openness and Secrecy seminar: Professor Carlo Caruso [Italian] 'Hidden in the Hieroglyphs? The Art of the Political Portrait in the Italian Renaissance'
Saturday 7 November 2015
Monday 9 November 2015
Tuesday 10 November 2015
Wednesday 11 November 2015
- Ecology & the Arts Research Group Seminar: Dr. Andrew Baldwin (Durham), 'Migration and the family form – portrayals of race and whiteness in climate cinema'
- Transnational Research Group seminar: James Koranyi (History, Durham) and Bernhard Struck (St Andrews), 'Writing a Translational History of Modern Europe'
Thursday 12 November 2015
Friday 13 November 2015
Wednesday 18 November 2015
Tuesday 24 November 2015
Wednesday 25 November 2015
- Translating Europe regional workshop: ‘Machine Translation: Opportunities and Threats’
- Transnationalism Research Group seminar: Dr Ilan Baron (School of Government and International Affairs): ‘Obligation in Exile: The Jewish Diaspora, Israel and Critique’
Tuesday 1 December 2015
Tuesday 8 December 2015
Wednesday 9 December 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group Seminar: Dr Zoe Roth [Durham University] ‘Revolutionary Race: Black/Jewish activism and aesthetics in interwar Paris’
- Postgraduate Information Session for Durham finalists
- Hispanic Studies Research Seminar: Dr Santiago Fouz Hernández 'Fat Masculinities in Recent Spanish Cinema'
Thursday 10 December 2015
- Justice and the Arts Research Group Seminar: Professor Lyndsey Stonebridge [East Anglia] “‘Humanity in Ruins': Samuel Beckett’s Testimony”
- Language Café
Monday 14 December 2015
Epiphany Term 2016
Tuesday 19 January 2016
- IAS Life of Texts Lecture Series: Professor John O'Brien 'Montaigne's 'Essais': The Life and After Life of an Unfinished Text'
- IAS Ghosts - the Evidence of Spirits Public Lecture series: Professor Nicholas Saul 'Wilhelminian Apparitions: ghosts and desire between science, religion and art in the German nineteenth-century novel from Raabe to Fritz Mauthner'
Thursday 21 January 2016
Tuesday 26 January 2016
- IAS, CHI and Digital Studies Research Group Workshop: Catherine Malabou 'The Evidence of Plasticity'
Wednesday 27 January 2016
- Translation & Linguistics Research Group Presentation: Ronan Malt 'Hitting the Back of the Net as a Football Interpreter/Translator'
- Erasmus Workshop: Dr Luisa Bavieri [Bologna University] 'Intercultural Education Resources for Erasmus Students and their Teachers'
- Castle Lecture Series: Catherine Malabou 'The Anthropocene: A New History'
Thursday 28 January 2016
Wednesday 10 February 2016
Tuesday 16 February 2016
Wednesday 17 February 2016
- MLAC Translation and Linguistics Research Group Seminar: Professor Myriam Salama-Carr [Manchester University] 'Translating Science – What can we learn from Euclid’s Elements'
- Russkiy Mir Centre Lecture: Professor Zdenek Pechal [Czech Republic] 'The Phenomenon of Elements in Russian Literature'
Saturday 27 February 2016
Tuesday 1 March 2016
- Visual Evidence (Ghosts - the Evidence of Spirits) Public Lecture series: Professor Chris Lloyd 'Ghosts in the City: from Baudelaire to Lydie Salvayre and Hilary Mantel'
Wednesday 2 March 2016
- Translation and Linguistics Research Group Seminar: Angus Turvill 'From North East Japan to North East England'
- Postgraduate Research Feedback Session
- Modern Languages UG Conference '
- Dr Fusako Innami – Re-sensing Kawabata in the 21st century - with a focus on House of the Sleeping Beauties and One Arm [SOAS London]
Thursday 3 March 2016
- Centre for Poetry and Poetics Research Seminar: Dr Stefano Cracolici 'Vico and the Poetics of Anger'
- Language Café
Saturday 5 March 2016
- MLAC UG Conference 'Remembering Genocide, Violence and Trauma: The Memorialisation of Difficult Pasts'
Tuesday 8 March 2016
Wednesday 9 March 2016
- Northern Bridge Nominees Conference
- Ecology & the Arts Research Group Seminar: Elizabeth Eva Leach (Oxford), 'Unmusical and Musical Animals in Richard de Fournival's, Bestiaire d'amour.'
- Back to the Future: MLAC Graduates return to Durham to share their experiences
- Professor Sergey Zenkin, RGGU, Moscow: The Ambivalence of the Sacred and Verbal Culture (Bakhtin & Durkheim)
Thursday 17 March 2016
- Russkiy Mir Multidisciplinary Research Seminar: Language & Identity in Post-Soviet Spaces
- ANNUAL LESLIE BROOKS LECTURE: Professor Marianne Hirsch (Columbia) 'Small Acts: Mobilizing Memory Across Borders'
Thursday 31 March 2016
Easter Term 2016
Wednesday 20 April 2016
Sunday 24 April 2016
Monday 25 April 2016
Tuesday 26 April 2016
- Bowes Lecture Series: Dr Tom Stammers, 'Relics of Bourbon and Bonaparte: collecting post-revolutionary France in nineteenth-century Britain' The Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle
Wednesday 27 April 2016
- Translation and Linguistics Research Group: Emeritus Professor Jean Boase-Beier [University of East Anglia] 'The Translation of Holocaust Poetry'
Friday 29 April 2016
Saturday 30 April 2016
- Institute of Medieval & Early Modern Studies: Professor Daniel Newman: Food of the Arabian Nights: An Introduction to Medieval Arab Cuisine Blackfriars Restaurant, Newcastle
Sunday 1 May 2016
- The Fourth Durham Postgraduate Colloquium on Translation Studies: A Dialogue between Process-oriented and Sociological Approaches
Tuesday 3 May 2016
- Transnationalism Research Group seminar - Cassia Roth (UCLA): “He Said, She Said: Abortion Rumours and Power in Early-Twentieth-Century Rio de Janeiro, Brazil”
- Claire McCallum: The Good, the Bad, and the Incompetent: Representing the Father in Soviet Visual Culture after Stalin
- Ghosts: The Evidence of Spirits Public Lecture Series: Professor Douglas Davies (Theology, University of Durham) Embodied Shadows: sculpted memory, sensed presence, and the third party
Thursday 5 May 2016
Wednesday 11 May 2016
- Ecologies and the Arts research group: Dr Sarah Buxton 'Out of my control? Landscape and the subject in the medieval Spanish novela sentimental
Friday 13 May 2016
Tuesday 17 May 2016
Thursday 19 May 2016
Friday 20 May 2016
Tuesday 24 May 2016
- Bowes Lecture Series: Professor Andy Beresford 'The Legend of St Lucy in Medieval Spanish Art Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle
Friday 27 May 2016
- Centre for Intercultural Mediation Seminar: Professor Juliet Winters Carpenter (Doshisha Women's College of Liberal Arts) 'Literary Aspects of Translation'
Wednesday 1 June 2016
Thursday 2 June 2016
- International conference: L'attività filologica in Italia tra Quattro e Seicento Rome
- World Cinema and Cosmopolitics Research Group workshop: Dr Deborah Shaw [Portsmouth]: Deconstructing and Reconstructing 'Transnational Cinema'
Wednesday 8 June 2016
- Two-day Conference: 400th Anniversary of the Death of the first Tokugawa Shogun: The Life and Legacy of Tokugawa Ieyasu
Thursday 9 June 2016
Friday 10 June 2016
Sunday 12 June 2016
Wednesday 15 June 2016
- Translation and Linguistics Research Group: Prof Mikel L. Forcada 'Machine translation as an ingredient in professional translation'
- Postgraduate Research Feedback Session: Marzia Beltrami, Yazid Haroun (School of Modern Languages and Cultures)