Staff in the Department of French
Dr Laura Chuhan Campbell
My research focuses primarily on translation, rewriting, and intercultural mediation in medieval literature. I am currently working on a monograph based on my PhD thesis, which examines reworkings of the Merlin story in the Old French Vulgate Cycle and later Italian vernacular and Franco-Italian adaptations. Particularly, I am interested in the way in which semiotic translation theory can be used to elucidate patterns of influence and reinterpretation underlying the transmission of narratives across medieval cultural and linguistic boundaries, which tended to be more fluid and less easily-defined than in later periods.
- Accepted Translation and Rewriting in the Middle Ages: the Story of Merlin in France and Italy, Boydell and Brewer.
- 2013 'Christine Ferlampin-Acher: 'Perceforest’ et ‘Zéphir’ propositions autour d’un récit arthurien bourguignon', French Studies 67, pp. 86-87
- 2011 (co-edited with Brown-Grant, Rosalind) 'Rosalind Brown-Grant: French Romance of the Later Middle Ages: Gender, Morality and Desire', French Studies 65, pp. 86-87
- 2008 'Jacques Dalarun: Robert of Arbrissel: Sex, Sin, and Salvation in the Middle Ages, trans. Bruce L. Venarde', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2008 'Raffa, Guy P: Danteworlds: A Reader's Guide to the Inferno', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2008 'Robin Kirkpatrick: Dante: The Divine Comedy 2: Purgatorio', Medium Aevum 77.
- Accepted 'Masculine Motherhood: The Lady of the Lake's Rejection of Passive Femininity in the Old French Merlin Romances'.
- 2015 'Prophetic Discourse and the Boundaries of the Text: Translating the Medieval Merlin Romances in Old French and Franco-Italian'.
- 2014 '‘Evil in Medieval French Arthurian Literature: a Preliminary Typology’'.
- 2013 '‘Francophone Culture in Medieval Italy and its Influence upon Italian Vernacular Translation’'.
- 2012 '‘Paulino Pieri: a Medieval Tuscan Mediator of French Literary Culture’, III International Conference Translating Voices, Translating Regions, Durham University'.
- 2010 ''The Translatio of Transvestism: Translating Problems of Signification Miniatures Depicting the Story of Gristandole'; paper given at the Symposium on Translatio, International Medieval Society, Paris [June, 2010]'.
Journal papers: academic
- 2013 ''The Devil’s in the Detail: Translating Merlin's Father from the Merlin en Prose in Paulino Pieri’s Storia di Merlino'', Arthuriana 23, pp. 35-51
- 2009 'Reinterpretation and Resignification: A Study of the English Translation of Le Roman de la Rose', Neophilologus 93, pp. 325-338
Translated: Chapter in Edited Book
- 2009 (co-edited with Bowen, Alan & Wildberg, Christian) (trans.). Pierre Pellegrin, 'The Argument for the Sphericity of the Universe in Aristotle's De Caelo '. In New Perspectives on Aristotle's De Caelo. (ed.). Leiden: Brill. pp.