Staff in the Department of French
Dr Laura Chuhan Campbell
My research focuses primarily on translation, rewriting, and intercultural mediation in medieval literature. I am currently working on a monograph based on my PhD thesis, which examines reworkings of the Merlin story in the Old French Vulgate Cycle and later Italian vernacular and Franco-Italian adaptations. Particularly, I am interested in the way in which semiotic translation theory can be used to elucidate patterns of influence and reinterpretation underlying the transmission of narratives across medieval cultural and linguistic boundaries, which tended to be more fluid and less easily-defined than in later periods.
- 2013 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J. ) 'Christine Ferlampin-Acher: 'Perceforest’ et ‘Zéphir’ propositions autour d’un récit arthurien bourguignon', French Studies 67, pp. 86-87
- 2011 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) 'Rosalind Brown-Grant: French Romance of the Later Middle Ages: Gender, Morality and Desire', French Studies 65, pp. 86-87
- 2008 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) 'Jacques Dalarun: Robert of Arbrissel: Sex, Sin, and Salvation in the Middle Ages, trans. Bruce L. Venarde', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2008 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) 'Raffa, Guy P: Danteworlds: A Reader's Guide to the Inferno', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2008 (co-authored with Laura J. Campbell) 'Robin Kirkpatrick: Dante: The Divine Comedy 2: Purgatorio', Medium Aevum 77.
- 2014 (co-authored with Laura J. Campbell) '‘Evil in Medieval French Arthurian Literature: a Preliminary Typology’'.
- 2013 '‘Francophone Culture in Medieval Italy and its Influence upon Italian Vernacular Translation’'.
- 2012 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) '‘Paulino Pieri: a Medieval Tuscan Mediator of French Literary Culture’, III International Conference Translating Voices, Translating Regions, Durham University'.
- 2010 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) ''The Translatio of Transvestism: Translating Problems of Signification Miniatures Depicting the Story of Gristandole'; paper given at the Symposium on Translatio, International Medieval Society, Paris [June, 2010]'.
Journal papers: academic
- 2013 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) ''The Devil’s in the Detail: Translating Merlin's Father from the Merlin en Prose in Paulino Pieri’s Storia di Merlino'', Arthuriana 23, pp. 35-51
- 2009 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) 'Reinterpretation and Resignification: A Study of the English Translation of Le Roman de la Rose', Neophilologus 93, pp. 325-338
Translated: Chapter in Edited Book
- 2009 (co-authored with Campbell, Laura J.) (trans.). Pierre Pellegrin, 'The Argument for the Sphericity of the Universe in Aristotle's De Caelo '. In New Perspectives on Aristotle's De Caelo. Bowen, Alan & Wildberg, Christian (ed.). Leiden: Brill. pp.