Staff in the Department of French
Professor Christopher Lloyd, MA PGCE Oxon; PhD Warwick
After studying at Brasenose College, Oxford and Warwick University, I worked as a teacher of English for three years in French universities, before being appointed temporary lecturer in French at Durham in 1980 (subsequently gaining promotion to lecturer, senior lecturer and professor). In 1992, I was a visiting professor in the English Department at Dijon University. From 1997 to 2000, I was Head of the School of Modern European Languages at Durham, and from 2002 to 2006 Director of Undergraduate studies and Chair of the School’s Teaching and Learning Committee. I was Chair of the Exams Boards from 2008 to 2010 and am currently Head of French.
My teaching has covered a wide range of courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level on nineteenth and twentieth-century literature and culture, as well as written French language. I have recently supervised PhD students researching on fin-de-siècle fiction, film and literature related to World War Two, and science fiction.
My research covers two main areas, reflected in the six books, five edited volumes of conference proceedings and many refereed articles which I have published, as well as unpublished lectures and conference papers: (a) the late nineteenth-century novel; (b) fiction, film and culture in France since the Second World War.
My latest book is a monograph on the film director Henri-Georges Clouzot, published by Manchester University Press in 2007. Future projects include a comparative study of Robert Louis Stevenson and Guy de Maupassant, and a co-authored study of World War Two narratives published in France and elsewhere.
I recently collaborated with Professor Margaret Atack of Leeds University on a major joint project related to cultural representations of the Occupation of France during World War Two. Our application for funding of c. £450,000 from the Arts and Humanities Research Council was successful in June 2006. For further details, go to:
- Visual and Performance
- 2007 Henri-Georges Clouzot, Manchester University Press, ix + 190 pp.
- 2003 Collaboration and Resistance in Occupied France: Representing Treason and Sacrifice, Palgrave Macmillan, 270 pp.
- 1996 Mirbeau's Fictions, Durham Modern Languages Series, 115 pp.
- 1994 Marcel Aymé Uranus and La tête des autres, University of Glasgow, 80 pp.
- 1990 J.-K.Huysmans and the Fin-de-siecle Novel, Edinburgh University Press, 192 pp.
- 1989 Maupassant: 'Bel-Ami', Grant & Cutler, 93 pp.
- 2012 (co-edited with Atack, Margaret) Framing Narratives of the Second World War and Occupation in France, 1939-2009, Manchester University Press, 256 pp.
- 1997 (co-edited with Whyte, P. J.) La Culture Populaire en France, Durham Modern Languages Series.
- 1995 Epidemics and Sickness in French Literature and Culture, Durham Modern Languages Series.
- 1994 (co-edited with Lethbridge, R.) Maupassant conteur et romancier, Durham Modern Languages Series.
- 2013 (co-edited with LLOYD, C., DAMBRE, M. & GOLSAN, R.J.) Mémoires occupées: fictions françaises et Seconde Guerre mondiale, Presses Sorbonne Nouvelle, 256 pp.
Essays in edited volumes
- Published (co-authored with LLOYD, Christopher D.) 'Genres et générations: du recyclage à l'innovation dans le récit de guerre contemporain', in DAMBRE, M., GOLSAN, R.J. & LLOYD, C. (eds.), Mémoires occupées: fictions françaises et Seconde Guerre mondiale, Presses Sorbonne Nouvelle, pp. 111-118
- 2013 'Transforming the Experience of War in the Fiction of Marcel Aymé, René Barjavel and Michel Tournier', in Gildenhard, I. & Zissos, A. (eds.), Transformative Change in Western Thought: A History of Metamorphosis from Homer to Hollywood, Legenda.
- 2011 'Men, Monkeys, Monsters and Evolution in Fiction from the Fin-de-siècle to the Present', in Saul, Nicholas & James, Simon (eds.), The Evolution of Literature: Legacies of Darwin in European Cultures, Rodopi, pp. 185-200
- 2009 'Maupassant et Stevenson: destins parallèles', in Cabanès, Jean-Louis & Helms, Laure (eds.), Maupassant aujourd'hui, Université Paris Ouest - Nanterre La Défense, pp. 321-332
- 2009 'Mirbeau et le discours anticolonialiste dans La 628-E8', in Reverzy, Eléonore & Ducrey, Guy (eds.), L'Europe en automobile: Octave Mirbeau écrivain voyageur, Presses universitaires de Strasbourg, pp. 299-307
- 2007 'Women's Resistance Narratives in France: Redefining Gender and Genre', in Hipkins, D. & Plain, G. (eds.), War-Torn Tales: Literature, Film and Gender in the Aftermath of World War Two, Peter Lang, pp. 163-179
- 2005 'Inventing the French Resistance: Heroes, Traitors and Fakers in the Resistance Novel and Memoir', in Knight, P. & Long, Jonathan J. (eds.), Fakes and Forgeries, Cambridge Scholars Press, pp. 107-117
- 2003 'Divided Loyalties: Singing in the Occupation', in Dauncey, H. & Cannon, S. (eds.), Popular Music in France from Chanson to Techno, Ashgate, pp. 153-170
- 2003 'Huysmans et l'humour fin-de-siècle', in de Gregorio Cirillo, V. & Petrone, M. (eds.), J.-K. Huysmans: La Modernite d'un anti-moderne. Actes du colloque international (7-8 mai 2001), L'Orientale Editrice, pp. 31-48
- 2001 'Huysmans auteur comique', in Bertrand, J.-P., Duran, S. & Grauby, F. (eds.), Huysmans à côté et au-delà, Peeters/Vrin, pp. 361-378
- 2000 'Dracula et les métamorphoses du vampire', in Montandon, A. (ed.), Mythes de la décadence, Presses Universitaires Blaise Pascal, pp. 335-344
- 2000 'Eliminating the Detective: Boileau-Narcejac, Clouzot and Les Diaboliques', in Mullen, A. & O'Beirne, E. (eds.), Crime Scenes: Detective Narratives in European Culture since 1945, Rodopi, pp. 37-47
- 2000 'From Catastrophe to Utopia: the wartime novels of René Barjavel', in Thomas, N. E. & Le Saux, F. (eds.), Utopias, Durham Modern Languages Series, pp. 161-174
Journal papers: academic
- 2013 'Enduring Captivity: French POW Narratives of World War Two', Journal of War & Culture Studies 6, pp. 24-39
- 2011 'In the Service of the Enemy: the Traitor in French Occupation Narratives', French Cultural Studies 22, pp. 239-249
- 2007 'Irène Némirovsky's Suite française and the Crisis of Rights and Identity', Contemporary French Civilization 31, pp. 161-182
- 2001 'Comic Songs in the Occupation', Journal of European Studies 31, pp. 370-393
- 2001 'Jean Moulin and the Resistance', Modern & Contemporary France 9, pp. 373-377
- 2001 'Mirbeau traduit en anglais', Cahiers Octave Mirbeau 8, pp. 385-395
- 2006: AHRC Research Grant £366K [co-investigator with Professor Atack in Leeds]
- 2000: British Academy Travel Award