Staff in the Department of French
Dr Mauro Senatore
My work situates at the crossroads of Continental philosophy and the life sciences. It interrogates the deconstruction of the concept of life that has been at stake in the theoretical work of contemporary biologists as well as in contemporary philosophers’ interpretations of biology. In particular, I am working on a project that is tentatively entitled “Henri Atlan: An Essay on Self-Organization”. This project explores the work of the French biophysicist H. A., who, in the early ’70s, introduced the theory of self-organization in French philosophy of biology, which, at that time, was informed by the paradigm of genetics. My aim is to examine to what extent a metaphysical understanding of life has already been at work in Atlan’s philosophy of biology. To this end, I will put the key features of this philosophy (from the notion of the postgenomic living to the reinterpretation of philosophical tradition) to the test of deconstruction.
After being awarded my PhD from Kingston University, I was a Conicyt Postdoctoral Fellow at the Instituto de Humanidades, Universidad Diego Portales, Santiago (Chile), and a Visiting Fellow at the State University of New York at Buffalo (US) and at the University of Salerno (Italy). I am currently a British Academy Fellow at Durham University and an Adjunct Professor of Contemporary French Philosophy at the Universidad Diego Portales. I am the author of several articles on contemporary French thought and of the forthcoming monograph on the problem of genesis in the work of Jacques Derrida.
- 2018 Germs of Death. The Problem of Genesis in Jacques Derrida, SUNY Press, 202 pp.
- 2015 'Review of Susanne Lüdemann's Politics of Deconstruction', Textual Practice 29, pp. 1187-1190
Chapter in book
- 2016 'Syntax is the Metal Itself: The Usure of Metaphors', in Foran, Lisa & Uljée, Rozemund (eds.), Heidegger, Levinas, Derrida: The Question of Difference, Springer, pp. 163-172
- 2013 Performatives After Deconstruction, Bloomsbury Academic, 272 pp.
- 2019 'Teleotheology: Derrida and the Aristotelian Foundations of Structuralism', Philosophy Today
- 2017 'Renvoi. A Note on the Enigma of Differance', The New Centennial Review 17, pp. 93-108
- 2015 'Of Natural Metaphors. the Eluded Necessity of the Hegelian System', Revista Estudos Hegelianos 20, pp. 71-93
- 2015 'Of Seminal Differance: Dissemination and Philosophy of Nature', The New Centennial Review 15, pp. 67-92