Staff in the Department of French
Mr Christopher Da Silva, BA, MA (Uni. Clermont II, FRANCE), FHEA, PGCAP
After teaching French in a comprehensive school in Suffolk (2009-10), through the British Council scheme of (Foreign) Language Assistants (link), the partnership between Durham University and Université Blaise Pascal (Clermont-Ferrand II, France; now, Université Clermont Auvergne, link) offered me the opportunity of being a French Lecteur (2012-14), after my B.A. and M.A. in Literature, Civilisation and Culture in English-speaking world, and Education and pedagogy.
Since 2014, I have been working for Durham University as a Teaching Fellow (assistant) in the French studies and I also taught a Language for All class - French Beginners (2014-15) for the Centre for Foreign Language Study.
For several years now, in terms of outreach and admissions, I have been taking part in the Supported Progression (link) and Sutton Trust summer school schemes, led by Durham University.
In terms of professional development, I have now undertaken firstly the PGCAP training (Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice) within the School of Education, here at Durham, to continue to develop and enhance my teaching skills. Secondly, the training to be an accredited examiner for the DELF-DALF examinations, through the CIEP (Centre International d'Etudes Pédagogiques).
Higher Education Academy [since 2015]
FREN1011 French Language 1 (Written and oral strands)
FREN2051 French Language 2 (Written and oral strands)
FREN3041 French Language 4 (Written and oral strands)
FREN3331 French (conference) Interpreting
LFA French Beginners (for the Centre for Foreign Language Study)
From 2015, I am the module convenor of the oral strand of French Language 1 (FREN1011)
and the academic advisor of students while going abroad.
MELA3976-3986 Target Language Research Project (undergraduate project during the Year Abroad)
- Promotion of language teaching and learning in the United Kingdom
- Transition from Secondary to Higher Education
- Language teaching in the United Kingdom
- Teaching and assessment of grammar/ linguistics
- Language teaching with interests in the oral skills
- Independent learning
- Assessment and feedback (both student and staff perspectives)
Currently, I am looking into opportunities for external examining.
- (Second/ Foreign/ French) Language teaching and acquisition
- Concept of interculturality or intercultural awareness
In terms of research interests, related to the French Studies :
- The educational system in France, and its challenges
- Second-language acquisition and teaching in secondary and primary schools in France
- The representation of French education in the cinema and/or TV series
- The television (medias) in France
- The "exception culturelle" in France (ie. culture is not a commodity like any other commercial products)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2015: Fellowship (HEA): of the Higher Education Academy