French Language 1
Academic Year 2018-2019
The module is taught in two strands:
- in the grammar/translation class, students will consolidate their grammar knowledge and develop their translation skills through a variety of grammar-based language exercises and the translation of texts from French into English
- in the oral class, students will develop their speaking and aural comprehension skills through a range of oral exercises (individual presentation, debate, role play, conversation in pairs), and their reading and writing skills through text-based comprehension and writing exercises.
The grammar/translation class is taught in English; the oral class is taught in French by native speakers.
NOTE: Students who are taking only one French language module are required to take French Stage 4 instead of French Language 1; this is an equivalent post-A-Level module which is designed to be studied alongside another degree programme.
For this module you will need the following items:
- French Language 1 module booklet (to be purchased from the department at the beginning of term)
- Roger Hawkins and Richard Towell, French Grammar and Usage, third edition (Arnold, 2010) AND
- Roger Hawkins, Marie-Noëlle Lamy and Richard Towell, Practising French Grammar: A Workbook second edition (Hodder Arnold, 2010)
- A recent edition of EITHER Collins-Robert French Dictionary OR Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary
Dr Laura Campbell-Chuhan (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org), room ER234, Elvet Riverside II
Oral strand: Mr Christopher Da Silva (email@example.com), room A48, Elvet Riverside I
Further details of pre-requisites, co-requisites, aims, contact hours and assessment.