Go to the MLAC staff pages
Dr Gordon Cheung, M.Sc. (Bristol), Ph.D. (CUHK), FHEA
Gordon C. K. Cheung is currently Director of the Centre for Contemporary Chinese Studies at Durham University and Editor-in-Chief of a leading academic journal, East Asia: An International Quarterly. He has been editing the journal since 2004.
He previously taught at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, served as Secretary of the Overseas Chinese Studies Foundation, Hong Kong and was Editorial Review Board member of a top business journal, Journal of International Business Studies. He held various visiting positions at the National University of Singapore, Renmin University in China, University of Oxford and Academic Sinica, Taiwan. He serves as Advisory Board member of European Research Centre on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT) at the University of Tubingen.
School of Government and International Affairs
- Asian Politics and Political Economy
- Contemporary Chinese Studies
- Nations, Nationalisms and Diasporas
- Chinese international political economy
- Chinese business and development
- East Asian international relations
- Chinese diaspora
Indicators of Esteem
- Academic Advisory Board member: Center for Chinese Entrepreneur Studies, Tsinghua University, China. (2014-now)
- Advisory Board Member: European Research Centre on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT) at the University of Tubingen (2008-now)
- Editor-in-Chief : East Asia: An International Quarterly, Springer Publishers (2004-now)
- Editorial Board Member: Asia Matters: Business, Culture and Theory (2012-now)
- Editorial Board Member: Global Studies Journal (Hong Kong) (2012-now)
Public Policy Research (PPR) Funding Scheme, the Central Policy Unit (CPU) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government. (2014-now).
- Visiting Research Fellow : East Asian Institute, National University of Singapore (2011)
- 2009 Intellectual Property Rights in China: Politics of Piracy, Trade and Protection, Routledge, 118 pp.
- 2009 Zhongguo yinsu: dazhonghuaquan de jihui yu tiaozhan (China Factors: Political Perspectives and Economic Interactions) (Chinese translation), Wunan, 221 pp.
- 2007 China Factors: Political Perspectives and Economic Interactions, Transaction Publishers, 165 pp.
- 1998 Market Liberalism: American Foreign Policy toward China, New Brunswick, N. J.: Transaction Publishers, i-x; 179pp. pp.
- 2012 'Transnational Competence: Empowering Professional Curricula for Horizon-rising Challenges. By Koehn, Peter H and Rosenau, James N. Boulder, CO and London: Paradigm', International Affairs 88, pp. 898
- 2011 'Chinese Family Business and the Equal Inheritance System: Unravelling the Myth. By Zheng, Victor. London Routledge, 2010', The China Quarterly 205.
- 2010 'Piracy and the State: The Politics of Intellectual Property Rights in China. By Dimitrov, Martin K. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press', Journal of Asian Studies, 1186-1187 69.
Departmental working papers
- 2006 ''Identity: In Searching the Meaning of Chineseness in Greater China'', Copenhagen Discussion Paper 10 (May 2006) pp. 1-30
Edited works: contributions
- 2015 ''Let The Hundred Businesses Donate (bai shang qi juan): The New Chinese Ways of Philanthropy, Traditional Values and the US Model'', in Kerr, David, ed. (ed.), China's Many Dreams: Comparative Perspectives on China's Search for National Rejuvenation, Basingstoke: Palgrave, pp. 132-155.
- 2015 ''Social Science Infrastructure: Eastern Asia and Paciﬁc (Social Science Academies and Related Organizations)'', in James D. Wright (editor-in-chief) (ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences (Second Edition), Elsevier, pp. 637-642
- 2013 ''Jiazu qiye yu funu: Guoji zhengzhi jingji xue de shiye' (Family Business and Women: New Perspective from International Political Economy)'', in Leung, Christopher & Zheng, Victor. (eds.), Caide zhijian: Huaren jiazou qiye yu funu (Between Leadership and Ethics: Chinese Family Business and Women), Chung Hwa Books Co, pp. 234-247
- 2011 ''The Significance of the Overseas Chinese in East Asia.'', in Beeson, Mark, Stubbs, Richard & eds. (eds.), Routledge Handbook of Asian Regionalism, London: Routledge.
- 2008 ''Contested International Relations Theory and China’s Constructing Regional Entitlement'', in Wang Gungwu, Zheng Yongnian & Eds. (eds.), China and the New International Order, Routledge.
- 2003 (co-authored with Luk Feyun) '‘Chaoyue guojia di xuni minzu,’ (Beyond Nation-state: Virtual Nation)', in Lim Hua Sing, Nyaw Mee-kau & eds. (eds.), Dongmeng riben yu zhongguoren (ASEAN, Japan and Chinese), World Scientific, pp. 593-616.
Edited works: journals
- 2011 (co-authored with Xiao, Ren) 'Sources and Transitions of Chinese Foreign Policy' (Special Issue, 35,000 words), with an Introduction. East Asia: An International Quarterly, 28 (3): Springer.
- 2004 'Greater China and Regional Governance: Problems and Prospects' (Special Issue), with an Introduction, (30,000 words). East Asia: An International Quarterly, 21 (1).
Journal papers: academic
- 2012 (co-authored with Gomez, Edmund Terence) ''Hong Kong’s Diaspora, Networks, and Family Business in the United Kingdom: A History of the Chinese “Food Chain” and the Case of W. Wing Yip Group'', The China Review: An Interdisciplinary Journal on Greater China 12, pp. 45-72
- 2011 (co-authored with Chang, Chak Yan.) ''Cultural identities of Chinese business: networks of the shark-fin business in Hong Kong.'', Asia Pacific Business Review 17, pp. 343-359
- 2010 ''New Approaches to Cross-Strait Integration and Its Impacts on Taiwan's Domestic Economy: An Emerging "Chaiwan"?'', Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 39, pp. 11-36
- 2010 ''The 2008-2009 Global Financial Fallout: Shanghai and Dubai as Emerging Financial Powerhouses?'', Asian Politics & Policy 2, pp. 77-93
- 2009 '‘Governing Greater China: Dynamic Perspectives and Transforming Interactions’', Journal of Contemporary China 18, pp. 93-111
- 2009 '‘Made in China vs. Made by Chinese: Global Identities of Chinese Business’ An Introduction. Journal of Contemporary China', Journal of Contemporary China 18, pp. 1-5
- 2009 (co-authored with Gomez, Edmund Terence) ''Family Firms, Networks and "Ethnic Enterprise": Chinese Food Industry in Britain.'', East Asia: An International Quarterly 26, pp. 133-157
- 2008 ''International Relations Theory in Flux in View of China’s "Peaceful Rise"' (lead paper)', Copenhagen Journal of Asian Studies 26, pp. 5-21
- 2006 ''But Questions Persist Over 'Shared Values'' A Commentary on 'China and Europe Together Could Break the Mould of Global Politics'', Europe's World pp. 35-39
- 2006 ''Hong Kong’s Information Technology after 1997 and the case of 3G Mobile Licences “Auction” in 2001.'', China: An International Journal 4, pp. 314-326
- 2005 ''Involuntary Migrants, Political Revolutionaries and Economic Energisers: a history of the image of overseas Chinese in Southeast Asia'', Journal of Contemporary China 14, pp. 55-66
- 2004 ''Chinese Diaspora as Virtual-Nation: Interactive Roles between Economic and Social Capital'', Political Studies 52, pp. 664-684
- 2003 '‘Jiu qi hou ziang gang di gao ke ji zheng ce: wen ti yu taio zhan’ (Hong Kong’s High-tech Policy after 1997: Problems and Challenges)', Dong ya ji kan (East Asia Quarterly) 34, pp. 1-12 (lead article)
- 2003 (co-authored with Chang, Chak Yan) ''Sustainable Business versus Sustainable Environment: A Case Study of Hong Kong Shark Fin Business'', Sustainable Development 11, pp. 223-235
- 2001 (co-authored with Nyaw, Mee-kau & Chang, Chak Yan) ''Money Migration-An Assessment of ASEAN's Investment in China with Special Reference to Overseas Chinese Investment after 1979'', The Journal of World Investment 2, pp. 439-455 (lead article)
- 2001 ''Quan qiu hua yu zhong mei quan xi di fa zhan (Sino-American Relations under Globalization: Trends and Development)'', Dang dai zhong guo yan jiu (Modern China Studies) 74, pp. 132-140
- 1999 ''The Political Economy of Social Cost Analysis in Sino-American Disputes over Intellectual Property Rights'', The Journal of World Intellectual Property 2, pp. 189-207
- 2012 '‘China’s New Endeavour to Protect Intellectual Property Rights.’ EAI Background Brief No. 752, 6 September 2012. Singapore: National University of Singapore'.
- 2006 ''China's Intellectual Property Rights Protection after WTO - What has been the Progress?'EAI Background Brief No. 280. 12 April 2006. Singapore: National University of Singapore', pp. 1-8
- Editorial board member, Asia Matters: Business, Culture and Theory
- Editorial board member, Global Studies Journal (Hong Kong)
- European advisory board member, The European Research Center on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT)
Available for media contact about:
- Regional politics: He is an expert in Greater China political economy(China, Hong Kong and Taiwan). He is also specialised on Chinese diaspora and business relations.
- 2014: Matariki Network travel grants
- 2011: Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange
- 2007: British Academy
- 2006: Lee Foundation (Singapore)
- 2004: Universitiesí China Committee in London (UCCL)
- 2003: Lee Foundation (Singapore)