Go to the MLAC staff pages
Dr Qing Cao
My research interests centre on interactions between culture, society and the mass media, with a focus on perceptions and representation between China and the West. Currently I am working on a research project that looks at representations of cultural traditions and modernity in early 20th century Chinese press. I am interested in how language changes reflect new formations of cultural and political identities.
- Media and cultural representation
- Mutual perceptions between the West and China
- Mass media and sociopolitical changes in China
- Discourse and narrative
- 2014 China under Western Gaze: Representing China in the British Television Documentaries, 1980-2000, World Scientific, 242 pp.
- 2013 Quanqiu shiye xiade zhongguo xingxiang: yinguo dianshi duihua baodao huayu fenxi China's image in the global vision - British television discourse analysis report on China, Nankai University Press, 225 pp.
Chapter in book
- Forthcoming 'Discursive Construction of National and Political Identities in China', in Shei, Chris (ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Chinese Discourse Analysis, Routledge.
- 2017 'Chinese Developmentalism and Television Representation of South Africa', in Batchelor, K. & Zhang, X. (eds.), China-Africa Relations: Building Images through Cultural Co-operation, Media Representation and Communication, Routledge, pp. 199-217
- 2015 'The Politics and poetics of television documentary in China', in Rawnsley, Gary & Rawnsley, Ming-yeh (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Chinese Media, Routledge, pp. 355-371
- 2014 'China's Soft Power: Formulations, Contestations and Communication', in Cao, Qing, Tian, Hailong & Chilton, Paul (eds.), Discourse, Politics and Media in Contemporary China, John Benjamins, pp. 171-194
- 2014 'Introduction: Legitimisation, Resistance and Discursive Struggles in Contemporary China', in Cao, Qing, Tian, Hailong & Chilton, Paul (eds.), Discourse, Politics and Media in Contemporary China, John Benjamins, pp. 1-22
- 2013 'From revolution to business: China's changing discourses on Africa', in Chan, Stephen (ed.), The morality of China in Africa: the middle kingdom and the dark continent, Zed Books, pp. 60-69
- 2010 (co-authored with Renwick, N.) 'China’s Evolving Human Security Discourse', in Iwatake, Mikako (ed.), New Perspectives from Japan and China, Renvall Institute Publications 27, University of Helsinki, pp. 27-50
- 2009 'Journalism and Political Change: the Case of China', in Stuart, Alan (ed.), The Routledge Companion to News and Journalism, Routledge, pp. 138-148
- 2006 'Western Representation of the ‘Other’', in Shi-xu (ed.), Discourse as Cultural Struggle, Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, pp. 105-122
- 2003 (co-authored with Renwick, N.) 'Modern Political Communication in China', in Rawnsley, Gary & Rawnsley, Ming-Yeh (eds.), Political Communication in Greater China: The Construction and Reflection of Identity, Routledge, pp. 62-82
- 2001 'Selling Culture: Ancient Chinese Conception of the ‘Other’ in Legends', in Chan, Stephen, Mandeville, Peter & Bleiker, Roland (eds.), The Zen of International Relations: IR Theories from East to West, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 178-202
- 2014 (co-edited with Tian, Hailong & Chilton, Paul) Discourse, Politics and Media in Contemporary China, John Benjamins, 213 pp.
- 2017 (co-authored with Wu, Doreen) Modern Chinese Identities at the Crossroads. Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies, 31 (6): Routledge.
- 2017 (co-authored with Wu, Doreen) 'Modern Chinese Identities at the Crossroads: Introduction', Critical Arts 31, pp. 1-8
- 2017 'Rupture in Modernity: A Case Study of Radicalism in Late Qing Chinese Press Debate', Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies 31, pp. 9-28
- 2012 'Modernity and Media Portrayals of China', Journal of Asian Pacific Communication 22, pp. 1-21
- 2011 'The Language of Soft Power: Mediating Socio-political Meanings in the Chinese Media', Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies 25, pp. 7-24
- 2010 'The re-imagined West in Chinese Television: a Case Study of the CCTV Documentary Series the Rise of the Great Powers', Journal of Language and Politics 9, pp. 615-633
- 2008 (co-authored with Renwick, N.) 'China's Cultural Soft Power: An Emerging National Cultural Security Discourse', American Journal of Chinese Studies 15, pp. 69-86
- 2007 'China Through Western Eyes: a Case Study of a BBC Television Documentary Series Road to Xanadu', European Journal of East Asian Studies 7, pp. 275-297
- 2007 'Confucian Vision of a New World Order? Culturalist Discourse, Foreign Policy and the Press in Contemporary China', International Communication Gazette 69, pp. 431-450
- 2006 'The Discourse of Technology in Western Representation of China: A Case Study', Global Media Journal 5, pp. 1-14
- 2000 'Journalism as Politics: Reporting Hong Kong’s Handover in the Chinese Press', Journalism Studies 1, pp. 665-678
- 1999 (co-authored with Renwick, Neil) 'China's political discourse towards the 21st century victimhood, identity, and political power,', East Asia: an international quarterly 17, pp. 111-143
- 1999 'Signification of Hong Kong’s Handover: the Case of the British Press', Journal of International Communication 6, pp. 71
- 2018: HEFCE Global Challenges Research Funds
- 2017: Taiwant Fellowship
- 2013: Universities China Committee in London Travel Grant
- 2012: British Academy Research Grant
- 2010: China Sinology Research Grant
- 2005: British Academy Research Grant
- 2003: British Academy Travel Award
- 1998: American Association for Chinese Studies Conference Grant