Go to the MLAC staff pages
Dr Qing Cao
My research interests centre on cultural representation in the media, with a focus on mutual perceptions and representation between the West and China. Currently I am working on a research project that focuses on how China perceives its place in the international world as reflected in media’s portrayal of (western) modernity, globalisation and its post-financial crisis. I am also interested in the changes of language use in contemporary China and how such changes reflect new formations of identities.
I welcome applications on issues surrounding media, culture and representations. I am also interested in topics on language, discourse and translation studies.
Centre for Contemporary China Studies
- Culture and Difference
- Cultural representation
- Mutual perceptions between the West and China
- Mass media and sociopolitical changes in China
- Discourse and narrative
- 2014 China under Western Gaze: Representing China in the British Television Documentaries, 1980-2000, World Scientific, 210 pp.
- 2013 Quanqiu shiye xiade zhongguo xingxiang: yinguo dianshi duihua baodao huayu fenxi (Chinese translation), Nankai University Press, 225 pp.
- 2014 Discourse, Politics and Media in Contemporary China' (with H Tian and P Chilton), John Benjamins, 216 pp.
- 2012 Reinventing Identities: the Poetics of Language Use in Post-reform China (with H Tian), Nankai University Press, 214 pp.
Edited works: contributions
- 2012 'Anti-Colonialism', in (ed.), Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa, SAGE Publications, pp. 201-203
- 2012 'Propaganda', in (ed.), Cultural Sociology of the Middle East, Asia and Africa , SAGE Publications, pp. 351-353
- 2009 'Western Perspectives on China', in (ed.), Berkshire Encyclopaedia of China, Berkshire Publishing Group, pp. 1749-1753
- 2008 'Changing Perspectives on China', in (ed.), Guanxi: The China Letter, pp. 8-10
- 2004 'Chinese', in (ed.), In Other Words: The Language Lover’s Guide to the Most Intriguing Words around the World, Walker & Company, pp. 82-85
- 1999 'China under Communism', in (ed.), The Pacific Review, pp. 136-138
Edited works: journals
- 2007 Reporting China in the British Media. China Media Research, 3 (1).
Essays in edited volumes
- Forthcoming 'The Politics and poetics of television documentary in China', in (ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Chinese Media, Routledge.
- 2013 'From revolution to business: China's changing discourses on Africa', in (ed.), The morality of China in Africa: the middle kingdom and the dark continent, Zed Books, pp. 60-69
- 2012 'Cultural Foundations of Western Representation of China', in (ed.), Global Media Review Special Issue, Tsinghua University Press, pp. 128-143
- 2012 'Introduction: Language, Discourse and Identity in Globalized China (with Tian, H)', in (ed.), Reinventing Identities: The Poetics of Language Use in Contemporary China, Nankai University Press, pp. 1-15
- 2012 'Re-imagined West in the Chinese Television: a Case Study of a China Central Television Documentary Series Rise of Great Powers', in (ed.), Discourse and Social-Political Transformations in Contemporary China, John Benjamins, pp. 127-144
- 2012 'Reimagining Traditions: the Role of Culture in China's External Relations', in (ed.), Reinventing Identities: the Poetics of Language Use in Post-reform China, Nankai University Press, pp. 45-70
- 2010 'China’s Evolving Human Security Discourse (with Renwick, N)', in (ed.), New Perspectives from Japan and China, Renvall Institute Publications 27, University of Helsinki, pp. 27-50
- 2009 'Intercultural Communication through Language: Chinese Cultural Linguistics and Its Implications in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language', in (ed.), Theories and Practices in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, Cypress, pp. 1-12
- 2009 'Journalism and Political Change: the Case of China', in Allan, Stuart (ed.), The Routledge Companion to News and Journalism, Routledge, pp. 138-148
- 2006 'Western Representation of the ‘Other’', in (ed.), Discourse as Cultural Struggle, Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, pp. 105-122
- 2003 'Modern Political Communication in China (with N Renwick)', in (ed.), Political Communication in Greater China: The Construction and Reflection of Identity, Routledge, pp. 62-82
- 2001 'Selling Culture: Ancient Chinese Conception of the ‘Other’ in Legends', in (ed.), The Zen of International Relations: IR Theories from East to West, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 178-202
- 2000 'Religious Culture and Translation', in (ed.), Culture in Translation, China Translation Publishing House, pp. 364-377
Journal papers: academic
- 2012 'Modernity and Media Portrayals of China', Journal of Asian Pacific Communication 22, pp. 1-21
- 2011 'Cultural Foundations of Western Representation of China', Global Media Review 8, pp. 104-116
- 2011 'Narrative as Discourse: Toward an Analytical Model for the study of Western Representation of the 'Other'', China Media Research 7, pp. 6-16
- 2011 'Reporting China: Perspectives, Patterns and Research Methodology', Journal of International Chinese Studies 1, pp. 1-19
- 2011 'The Language of Soft Power: Mediating Socio-political Meanings in the Chinese Media', Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies 25, pp. 7-24
- 2010 'The re-imagined West in Chinese Television: a Case Study of the CCTV Documentary Series the Rise of the Great Powers', Journal of Language and Politics 9, pp. 615-633
- 2009 'Missing Heroes: Portraying Chinese History in British Television (with Fu, D)', Journal of Chinese Sociolinguistics 13, 6, pp. 60-77
- 2008 'After the Civilization Orders: International Cultural Relations in a Third World Perspective (with Chan, S)', World Economics and Politics pp. 67-71
- 2008 'China’s Cultural Soft Power: An Emerging National Cultural Security Discourse (with Renwick, N)', American Journal of Chinese Studies 15, pp. 301-318
- 2007 'Advising Television Documentary in China: an Interview with Hugh Baker', China Media Research 3, pp. 33-42
- 2007 'China Through Western Eyes: a Case Study of a BBC Television Documentary Series Road to Xanadu', European Journal of East Asian Studies 7, pp. 275-297
- 2007 'Confucian Vision of a New World Order? Culturalist Discourse, Foreign Policy and the Press in Contemporary China', International Communication Gazette 69, pp. 431-450
- 2007 'Reporting China: A Critical Review', China Media Research 3, pp. 8-16
- 2006 'The Discourse of Technology in Western Representation of China: A Case Study', Global Media Journal 5, pp. 1-14
- 2005 'Four Images of China: the Imagined 'Other' in British Television Documentaries', China Media Research 2, pp. 93-97
- 2004 'Two Faces of Confucianism: Narrative Construction of Cross-cultural Imagery', Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies 30, pp. 223-248
- 2000 'Journalism as Politics: Reporting Hong Kong’s Handover in the Chinese Press', Journalism Studies 1, pp. 665
- 1999 'Chinese Political Discourse towards the 21st Century: Victimhood, Identity and Political Power (with Renwick, N)', East Asia: An International Quarterly 17, pp. 111-143
- 1999 'Signification of Hong Kong’s Handover: the Case of the British Press', Journal of International Communication 6, pp. 71
- 1995 'Eugene Nida and Cross-cultural Translation', Language and Philology 37, 12, pp. 98-104
- 2013: Universities China Committee in London Travel Grant
- 2012: British Academy Research Grant
- 2010: China Sinology Research Grant
- 2005: British Academy Research Grant
- 2003: British Academy Travel Award
- 1998: American Association for Chinese Studies Conference Grant