Staff in the Department of Arabic
Professor Paul Starkey, MA, DPhil Oxon
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Arabic literature
- Arabic/English translation
- 2006 Modern Arabic Literature, Edinburgh University Press, 222 pp.
Chapter in book
- 2006 'Intertextuality and the Arabic literary tradition in Edwar al-Kharrat's 'Stones of Bobello'', in Deheuvels, Luc., Michalak-Pikulska, Barbara. & Starkey, Paul. (eds.), Intertextuality in modern Arabic literature since 1967, Durham Modern Languages Series, pp. 149-159
- 2003 'Crisis and Memory in Rashid al-Daif’s Dear Mr Kawabata: An Essay in Narrative Disorder', in Seigneurie, K. (ed.), Crisis and Memory: The Representation of Space in Modern Levantine Narrative, Reichert Verlag, pp. 115-130
- 2001 'Fact and Fiction in al-Saq ala al-Saq', in De Moor, Ed, Ostie, Robin & Wild, Stefan (eds.), Writing the Self: Autobiographical Writing in Modern Arabic Literature, Saqi Books.
- 2001 'Islamic Egypt in the Modern Egyptian Novel', in Kennedy, Hugh. (ed.), The Historiography of Islamic Egypt (c.950-1800), Brill, pp. 251-262
- 1998 'Modern Egyptian Culture in the Arab World', in Daly, M. W. & Petry, Carl F. (eds.), The Cambridge History of Egypt. II: Modern Egypt from 1517 to the End of the Twentieth Century, Cambridge University Press, pp. 463
- 2002 (co-edited with El Kholy, Nadia) Egypt Through the Eyes of Travellers, Astene.
- 2001 Interpreting the Orient: Travellers in Egypt and the Near East: v. 2, Ithaca Press.
- 2001 Unfolding the Orient: Travellers in Egypt and the Near East, Ithaca Press.
- 1998 (co-edited with Julie Scott Meisami) Encyclopedia of Arabic Literature (Two Volumes), Routledge.
- 1998 Travellers in Egypt, I B Tauris.
- 2006 Special Issue: Identities Remembered, Discovered, Invented: hero and character in modern Arabic literature. Middle Eastern Literatures, 9 (2): Routledge.
- 2006 ''Heroes' and Characters in the Novels of Sun'allah Ibrahim', Middle Eastern Literatures 9, pp. 147-157
- 1997 'Some Aspects of the French Colonial Legacy in the Tunisian Novel of the 1960s and 1970s', Oriente Moderno XVI, pp. 151-161
- 1987 From the Ivory Tower: Critical Study of Tawfiq Al-Hakim, Garnet Publishing, 260 pp.
Available for media contact about:
- Middle East: Arabic
- Foreign Literature & Language: Arabic language and literature