Dr Gleider I Hernández
Gleider I Hernández is Associate Professor (Reader) in Public International Law at Durham Law School and Deputy Director of the Durham Global Policy Institute.
Originally from Canada, Gleider took a D.Phil from Wadham College, Oxford in 2010, and read for the LL.M at Leiden University and for BCL and LL.B degrees at McGill University. His first monograph, The International Court of Justice and the Judicial Function, was shortlisted for the Peter Birks Prize for Outstanding Legal Scholarship in 2014. His second book, International Law, will be published in 2018, also by the Oxford University Press. His primary research interests lie within the general area of public international law, and particularly relate to international legal theory (nature and sources of international law), international dispute settlement, and the law and practice of international institutions.
Since October 2015, Gleider is an AHRC Research Leadership Fellow (Early Career) for the Arts & Humanities Research Council, on a project entitled 'Constructing Authority in International Law'.
Gleider is a Member of the Academic Review Board of the Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vice-Chair of the Co-ordinating Committee of the International Legal Theory Group of the European Society of International Law, and General Editor of Oxford International Courts of General Jurisdiction (Oxford Scholarship Online). He was also a Member of the International Group of Experts who jointly authored the 2nd edition of the Tallinn Manual on the International Law applicable to Cyber Operations (Cambridge University Press, 2017).
In terms of external appointments, Gleider has served as Junior Faculty with the Harvard Institute for Global Law and Policy. He was also a Visiting Consultant with the International Commission of Jurists in Geneva (summer 2017), Visiting Senior Fellow at the TMC Asser Institute in The Hague (autumn 2016), Visiting Expert Associate at the Amsterdam Centre for International Law (spring 2014), and Visiting Fellow at the Faculty of Law, McGill University (autumn 2013).
In addition to academic work, Gleider also engages in international law practice. He presently serves as Special Assistant to the President of the Arbitral Tribunal seated in the ICSID arbitration Pey Casado and Foundation President Allende v Republic of Chile. He is also a Member of the Legal Action Committee of the GLANLaw.org group, a non-governmental organisation decidated to challenging injustice through innovative legal strategy.
Prior to arriving in Durham, he served as Associate Legal Officer at the International Court of Justice (2007-2010), acting from 2008-2010 as Law Clerk to Judges Bruno Simma and Peter Tomka (then Vice-President); and practised as a barrister and solicitor at Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP (Montreal) until 2004.
Gleider is fully fluent in English, French and Spanish, and is conversational in Dutch.
- 2015: Constructing Authority in International Law: Critical Reflections (£191838.73 from Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- 2012: Judicial Conversations: The Role of Judiciaries in Resolving International Conflicts. (£3385.00 from Modern Law Review)
- Hernández, G.I. (2018). International Law. Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, I. (2014). The International Court of Justice and the Judicial Function. Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). Book Review: The Project of Positivism in International Law. Netherlands International Law Review 62(1): 183-189.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). The International Judge: A Book Review. Leiden Journal of International Law 23(1): 272-276.
Chapter in book
- Hernández, G.I. (Forthcoming). The ICJ in International Law-Making Processes. In Research Handbook on the International Court of Justice. Skordas, A. Edward Elgar.
- Hernández, G.I. (Accepted). The Systemic Functions of Adjudication in International Law. In In Whose Name? On the Functions, Authority and Legitimacy of International Adjudication. von Bogdandy, A., Ruiz-Fabri, H. & Venzke, I. Springer Verlag.
- Hernández, G.I. (2020). Dispute Settlement (Arbitration and Adjudication). In International Law at the Time of the League of Nations. Kolb, R. Cambridge University Press. X.
- Berman, Sir F.D. & Hernández, G.I. (2018). Article 42. In The Statute of the International Court of Justice: A Commentary. Zimmermann, A., Tomuschat, C., Oellers-Frahm, K. & Tams, C. Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2018). Systematicity and the Sources of International Law: A Co-Constitutive Relationship? In The Oxford Handbook on the Sources of International Law. Besson, S. & d'Aspremont, J. Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2017). Delagoa Bay Railway Arbitration. In The International Law of Development. Wolfrum, R., Minnerop, P. & Lachenmann, F. Oxford University Press. III.
- Hernández, G.I. (2017). Effectiveness. In Fundamental Concepts in International Law. d'Aspremont, J. & Singh, S. Edward Elgar.
- Hernández, G.I. (2017). Federal States: A New Paradigm for International Responsibility. In The Practice of Shared Responsibility. Nollkaemper, A. & Plakokefalos, I. Cambridge University Press. 3.
- Hernández, G.I. (2017). The Responsibility of the International Legal Academic: Situating the Grammarian in the "Invisible College". In International Law as a Profession. Nollkaemper, A., d'Aspremont, J., Werner, W. & Gazzini, T. Cambridge University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2016). International Judicial Lawmaking. In Research Handbook on International Law-Making. Brölmann, C. & Radi, Y. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 200-221.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). Drone Strikes and International Humanitarian Law. In The Protection of Non-Combatants During Armed Conflict and Safeguarding the Rights of Victims in Post-Conflict Society: Essays in Honour of Joakim Dungel. Ambach, P., Bostedt, F., Dawson, G. & Kostas, S. Brill NV.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). Interpretative Authority and the International Judiciary. In Interpretation in International Law. Bianchi, A., Peat, D. & Windsor, M. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 166-188.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Article 23. In Le Pacte de la Société des Nations: Commentaire article par article. Kolb, R. Pedone.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Article 24. In Le Pacte de la Société des Nations: Commentaire article par article. Kolb, R. Pedone.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Interpretation. In International Legal Positivism in a Post-Modern World. d'Aspremont, Jean & Kammerhofer, Jorg. Cambridge University Press. 317-348.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). Federated Entities in International Law: disaggregating the federal state?. In Statehood and Self-Determination: Reconciling Tradition and Modernity in International Law. French, D. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 491-512.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Interaction between Investment Law and the Law of Armed Conflict in the Interpretation of Full Protection and Security Clauses. In Investment Law within International Law: An Integrationist Perspective. Baetens, F. Cambridge University Press.
- Sloan, J. & Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Role of the International Court of Justice in the Development of the Institutional Law of the United Nations. In The Development of International Law by the International Court of Justice. Tams, C.J. & Sloan, J. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 197-235.
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2012). Delagoa Bay Railway Arbitration. In Max-Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law. Wolfrum, Rüdiger Oxford: Oxford University Press. 3: 1-7.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2012). Effects of Territorial Change. In Max-Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law. Wolfrum, Rüdiger Oxford: Oxford University Press. 9: 850-856.
- Simma, Bruno & Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Legal Consequences of an Impermissible Reservation to a Human Rights Treaty: Where Do We Stand?. In The Law of Treaties beyond the Vienna Convention. Cannizzaro, Enzo. Oxford Oxford University Press. 60-85.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Non-State Actors from the Perspective of the International Court of Justice. In Participants in the International Legal System: Multiple Perspectives on Non-State Actors in International Law. d'Aspremont, Jean. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge Cavendish. 140-164.
- Tomka, Peter & Hernández, Gleider I. (2011). Provisional Measures in the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. In Coexistence, Cooperation and Solidarity—Liber Amicorum Rüdiger Wolfrum. Matz-Lueck, Nele, Voeneky, Silja, Stoll, Tobias, Hestermeyer, Holger, Roeben, Volker, Seibert-Fohr, Anya & Koenig, Doris. Leiden: Brill Academic Press NV. II: 1763-1787.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). On Multilingualism and the International Legal Process. In Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law. Ruiz-Fabri, Helene, Wolfrum, Ruediger & Gogolin, Jana Oxford: Hart Publishing. 2: 441-460.
- (2017). Beyond David and Goliath: Debate on Compulsory Jurisdiction in International Law. Annual Meeting of the American Society of International Law, Washington, DC, United States, Cambridge University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). The Judicialization of International Law: Reflections on the Empirical Turn. European Journal of International Law 25(3): 919-934.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Turning Mirrors into Windows? Reflections on Transparency in International Law. The Journal of World Investment & Trade 15(5-6): 1087-1107.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). A Reluctant Guardian: The International Court of Justice and the Concept of 'International Community'. British Yearbook of International Law 83(1): 13-60.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). Beyond the Control Paradigm? International Responsibility and the European Union. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 15, 2012-2013: 643-668.
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2012). Impartiality, Bias, and the International Court of Justice. Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law 1(3): 183-207.
- Schmitt, M.N. General Editor, Vihul, L., Akande, D., Blumbergs, B., Brown, G., Duchaine, P.A.L., Gill, T., von Heinegg, W.H., Hernández, G.I., Housen-Couriel, D., Huang, X., Jensen, E., Kozik, A., Kreß, C., Kittichaisaree, K., McCormack, T., Nakatani, K., Spector, P., Watts, S. & Rona, G. (2017). Tallinn Manual 2.0 on the International Law Applicable to Cyber Operations. Cambridge University Press.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Hernández, G.I. (Published). Book Symposium Investment Law: The Interaction Between Investment Law And The Law Of Armed Conflict In The Interpretation Of Full Protection And Security Clauses.
- Hernandez, G.I. (2013). Obama’s Counter-Terrorism Speech: A Turning Point or More of the Same?.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Activist Academic in International Legal Scholarship. 2(11).
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Concept of “International Community” and the International Court of Justice.
- Hernández, G.I. & Liefländer, T.R. (2011). Can Gaddafi invoke self-defence against NATO; have NATO leaders committed the crime of aggression?. EJILTalk!: blog of the European Journal of International Law
- AHRC Research Leadership Fellowship: Constructing Authority in International Law
- Global Policy Institute