Student Development Fund
The Student Development Fund aims to give financial assistance to help any JCR or postgraduate member with their personal enrichment and development.
Who can apply?
You must be a levy-paying member of John Snow College Junior Common Room. It is available to all students who intend to undertake a project or be involved in an appropriate activity. Final year students will not be awarded SDF for any activity which takes places after their graduation.
Each applicant must produce a short report (approx. 500 words) which can include photographs (ideally of you, with others being unidentifiable, due to GDPR, for example, others may be blurred ro have their back to the photo), detailing how they used their funds and how it contributed to their own personal enrichment and development. Some of this information may be used in College or University promotional material.
What can I apply for?
We strongly encourage students to apply for funds to support any activity that will contribute to their personal development. Examples of ways in which to use the funds include: charitable expeditions (including travel expenses); attendance at conferences; paying publication fees; performing at University or county/country-level sport; performing at music or art events.
Previous successful applications include:
- purchase of Malaria tablets in order to volunteer at a hospital in Peru;
- fees for a British Sign Language course to support the development of an additional language;
- payment of exam fees allowing the applicant to teach horse riding within the UK and abroad
Strong personal skills assists employability and the work/project/activity undertaken could also link into the Durham Inspired Award.
What am I not allowed to apply for?
Student Development Funding cannot be used:
- To help pay University tuition fees or meet normal costs of living. For students that require such financial assistance, please contact our Assistant Principal for student support at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For expeditions that do not have a volunteering or charitable element
- For recreational purposes e.g. to attend sporting events or art/music performances
- For travel expenses relating to job interviews, placements, internships or paid employment
- To directly purchase equipment or supplies for a charitable organisation or to give as a direct donation to such an organisation
Is there a limit to the amount I can apply for and how is the money paid?
Each applicant is limited to a maximum of £300. Each student is allowed to apply once per term but will not be awarded more than £300 in any academic year.
There needs to be a clear audit trail so wherever possible the University will pay the amount direct to the supplier. In those instances where the student has to make the purchase, official receipts will be required and the SDF paid directly into the student’s bank account.
To request an application form, please email: email@example.com
There will be one deadline each term. This year's deadlines are:
·Wednesday 11th December
·Friday 13th March
·Wednesday 17th June
Applications are then considered by a College Panel and the applicants notified of the outcome via email.