We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

John Snow College


A typical John Snow College Study Bedroom

It is expected that all incoming fresher students will live in College accommodation during their first year, in order to take full advantage of the College community. All applicants who wish to "live out" must apply in writing to the College Principal explaining their reasons for not living in College accommodation (Please note, there is no guarantee that permission will be granted). Requests to live out should be directed to Professor Carolyn Summerbell at

Please ensure that you apply for College accommodation early and clearly state any preferences you may have. We try where we can to allocate students to their preferred accommodation type, but as you can imagine this is not always possible. We can assure you that you will gain the full College experience if you live in College.

John Snow College Accommodation

We have 225 study bedrooms in College accommodation and these are spread across eight accommodation blocks. The blocks are organised in flats of six en-suite bedrooms, with a shared kitchen.

Facilities in each bedroom include:

  • Wi-Fi connection to the University network
  • en-suite shower, toilet & hand basin
  • study desk and chair
  • single bed
  • wardrobe
  • drawer Unit
  • task lighting
  • shelves
  • insurance Cover for Students

The College also has a social block which has a range of social and other facilities including a College Bar (The Igloo), a Games Room, a Computer Room, a TV Room and a dedicated Art Room. We also have a Music Practice Room which we encourage our students to use as much as possible. John Snow College is seven minutes walk from Queen's Campus (the main teaching area).


Durham University have arranged contents insurance cover from Endsleigh Insurance Services Ltd for students who reside in College accommodation.

If you would like to see information on what is covered by the current contents insurance service, plus details of optional additional/top up covers, please visit

Checking Contents Insurance Cover

You can enter your policy number HH1288 at to check your policy details.

You should visit the review cover link to:

  • Check what is covered
  • Check key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Check how to make a claim, extend and personalise your cover

It is important that you find out exactly what the basic level of cover is as you may find that this is not sufficient for your individual circumstances and you need to extend it to protect all of your possessions both in and outside of your room.


There is one ground floor study bedroom in John Snow College specifically adapted for students with disabilities. Please make sure the Accommodation & Facilities Services Coordinator is aware of any special needs you may have which could affect your allocation of room (e.g. wheelchair user). You can contact the Accommodation & Facilities Services Coordinator at

TV Licence

If you have a television in your room, you will need your own TV licence for it. More information is available at (


Click here for a breakdown of the accommodation charges for 2017/18. Please note that the charges stated are correct at the time of publishing but are subject to change.