John Snow College is committed to working in a sustainable way, reducing its environmental footprint and has adopted this Green Charter.
- Comply with the requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice.
- Continuously seek to improve our environmental and social performance and try to operate in ways that reduce negative impacts on the environment.
- Respect all the animals and flora in our College grounds taking care not to damage habitats, including during any events we hold.
- Encourage students, staff and guests to use products and services in an environmentally sensitive way.
- Raise awareness of environmental issues within the College and the local community and encourage participation in sustainable practices.
- Reduce the amount of waste, pollution and emissions.
- Reduce the use of energy, water and other resources.
- Reuse materials where we can.
- Recycle as much as we possibly can.
- Remain a member of the Green Tourism Business Scheme as an indicator of our sustainable practices.
As a member of John Snow I agree to promote my College's green policy by:
- Turning off heating, electricity, water and lighting when it is not required.
- Keeping temperatures for heating and hot water to a reasonable level.
- Reduce waste to landfill by recycling where possible: glass, plastic, paper, cans, cardboard etc. in the containers provided.
- Reduce energy and water usage by using low energy light bulbs, switching off lights, turning off stand by switches, turning off radiators when rooms are unoccupied.
- Using public transport where possible.
- Walking and cycling where possible.
- Continually looking at ways to improve our commitment to green issues.
- Keeping up to date on College environmental projects and be active in supporting the College environmental policy.