Durham International Senior Fellowships
This is an archived page. Kept as a record until the formal end of the COFUND contract. This Fellowship is permanently closed for recruitment. Visitors interested in early career fellowships should visit the Durham University Vacancies Site or the Addison Wheeler Fellowship page. Information about other Senior Fellowships can be found on the IAS Fellowships page.
The EU-sponsored Durham International Fellowships for Research and Enterprise (DIFeREns) allows Durham University to gather together scholars, researchers, policy makers or practitioners from around the world and across the full spectrum of science, social science, arts and humanities to address themes of global significance in collaboration with Durham's Research Institutes and researchers.
As part of the DIFeREns scheme Durham University recruits two types of Senior Fellow :
- Senior Research Fellowships
- Policy and Enterprise Fellowships
Up to 30 Fellowships will be available in (2018-19): 20 Senior Research Fellowships and 10 Policy and Enterprise Fellowships.
Applications are encouraged from individuals who wish to work on collaborative research projects with one of Durham University's thematic Institutes or with the Durham University Business School (DUBS) :
- Biophysical Sciences Institute (BSI)
- Durham Energy Institute (DEI)
- Durham Global Security Institute (DGSI)
- Institute of Computational Cosmology (ICC)
- Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience (IHRR)
- Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies (IMEMS)
- Institute of Particle Physics Phenomenology (IPPP)
- Wolfson Research Institute (WRI)
However, applications are also welcome from individuals wishing to collaborate on a research project associated with other research groups or Research Centres at Durham University.
To be eligible, in line with the terms of funding set by Marie Curie, "researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc) in the country [ie the UK] of the host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account". The reference date is 1 July 2017. For full details please visit http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/dc/index.cfm?fuseaction=UserSite.PeopleDetailsCallPage&call_id=381.
Before applying, applicants must seek the agreement of a Durham academic to act as their host. For advice on finding hosts, please visit our Finding an Academic Host page.
The closing date for applications, for both categories of Fellowship is 5 January 2018.
For further details about both categories of Fellowship and how to apply please consult the '2017 Senior Fellowships - Further Particulars' document below.
Durham Senior Fellowships - Further Particulars
- 2018 Senior Fellowships - Further Particulars (last modified: 30 October 2017)
- 2018 Senior Fellowship Application Form - Round 4 (last modified: 30 October 2017)
- 2018 Senior Fellowship Proforma - Round 4 (Staff Only) (last modified: 30 October 2017)
- Eligibility Guide - COFUND / Addison-Wheeler (last modified: 17 October 2016)
Information about former Senior Fellows, along with their Departments, Institutes and research, can be accessed at our Senior Fellows page.
The DIFeREns2 project has received funding from the European Union's Seventh Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement no 609412.