Accommodation and Transport
A number of options are available for accommodation in Durham.
University accommodation is available on a first-come, first-served basis and is bookable via on-line registration. If you have any problems requesting University Accommodation please contact Louise Bellenger at Event Durham on +44 (0)191 33 49354.
- Collingwood College (Durham University) https://www.dur.ac.uk/collingwood/ Address: Collingwood College, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LT Tel: +44 (0)191 33 45000 Fax: +44 (0)191 33 45035 Rate: £50.00 per person, including breakfast (single occupancy only)
- Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County (Durham City Centre) http://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/xvudm-durham-marriott-hotel-royal-county/ Rates: approx. £100.00 (single per night) rate includes bed and breakfast. Accommodation can either be booked through the central reservations team on 0800 221 222 or online using the promotional code ‘UND’ Address: Old Elvet, Durham, DH1 3JN Tel: +44 (0)191 386 6821 Fax: +44 (0)191 386 0704
- Gadds Townhouse (Durham City Centre)http://www.gaddstownhouse.com/ Rates: from £99.00 - £250.00 per night, rate includes bed and breakfast Address: 34 Old Elvet, Durham, DH1 3HN Tel: +44 (0) 191 384 1037 Fax: +44 (0) 191 384 3348
- Raddison Blu (Durham City Centre) http://www.radissonblu.co.uk/hotel-durham Rates: from £79.00 to £130.00 rate includes bed and breakfast Address: Framwellgate Waterside, City of Durham, DH1 5TL Tel: +44 (0)191 372 7200 Fax: +44 (0)191 372 7201
- The King’s Lodge Hotel (Durham City Centre) http://www.kingslodge.info/home.asp Rates: from £60.00 room only Address: Waddington Street, Flass Vale, Durham, DH1 4BG Tel: +44 (0)191 370 9977
- Premier Inn (Durham City Centre & Newcastle City) http://www.premierinn.com/en/Rates: variable from £29.00 to £90 rate for room only, Address: Freemans Place, Walkergate, Durham, DH1 1SQ Tel: +44 (0)871 527 8338* Fax: +44 (0)871 527 8339
- Travelodge (Durham City Centre) http://www.travelodge.co.uk/ Rates: variable from £19.00 to £89.00 for room only Address: Station Lane, Gilesgate, Durham, DH1 1LJ Tel: +44 (0)871 984 6136* Fax: +44 (0)191 386 5461
Travelling to Durham University
Durham is 264 miles from London, 187 miles from Birmingham, 125 miles from Edinburgh and 67 miles from York. Durham city centre is only two miles from the A1(M). Leave the motorway at Junction 62 on the A690 Durham-Sunderland road and follow signs to Durham City Centre. There are several express coach services daily from most major cities. Durham is well served by both regional express services and the local bus network. From the city bus station – a short walk from the railway station – a bus service runs every runs every 15 minutes past the University Colleges on South Road.
60 intercity trains from most major centres in the country call at Durham daily including upto 14 trains from London. The East Coast high speed service takes under 3 hours from London Kings Cross on the main East Coast Line. Links to train timetables and ticketing arrangements can be found by visiting: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk, http://www.thetrainline.com or http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Durham is 50 minutes drive from Newcastle Airport and about 40 minutes from Durham Tees Valley. Both have regular domestic and international flights. Durham is linked to Newcastle Airport by rail and metro. www.nexus.org.uk/metro (metro map).
Travellers into Durham Tees Valley can take advantage of the free Sky Express bus service that links the airport to Darlington railway station, with regular connections to Durham.
Scheduled ferry services link the river Tyne to ports in Scandinavia, The Netherlands and Germany