The Institute of Advanced Study is a prestigious, ideas-based Institute bringing together some of the world’s finest researchers from all disciplines to examine themes of major intellectual, scientific, political and practical significance. At least twenty visiting fellows per annum are based in Cosin's Hall, a beautiful 18th Century, Grade 1 listed mansion house, situated on Palace Green (a World Heritage site). They work with Durham scholars to spark new investigations, set tomorrow's agenda and participate in a varied programme of activities.
The Institute also serves as a top-level forum, enabling key-decision makers and experts to discuss pressing policy problems in an intellectually stimulating and unrestricted manner. We put on a wide range of public lectures and other events. There are also opportunities for postgraduates and other early career researchers to get involved.
The IAS aims to build research capacity, realise potential, and meet the challenges of a changing world. There are many ways to participate in the life and work of the institute. We warmly welcome your involvement.
Evaluating Interdisciplinary Research: a practical guide (Professor Veronica Strang and Professor Tom McLeish)
A number of experts in interdisciplinary research, from UK and EU funding organisations and from a number of British Universities, participated in a workshop at Durham's Institute of Advanced Study (IAS) in early 2015 to compare and discuss methods of assessment and the criteria applied to interdisciplinary research (IDR), and to discuss how best to address the challenges of evaluating and re-valuing interdisciplinary research.
IAS Co-Director (Arts and Humanities)
The IAS is delighted to announce that Professor Nicholas Saulhas been appointed as Co-Director (Arts and Humanities) effective 1st September 2015. Professor Saul is Chair on Modern German Literature and Intellectual History in the School of Modern Language and Cultures, and replaces Professor Barbara Graziosi who returns to the Department of Classics and Ancient History following her successful four-year Co-Directorship at the IAS. For further information see https://www.dur.ac.uk/research/directory/staff/?mode=staff&id=2036.
(29 May 2015)
Evidence On Trial: weighing the value of evidence in academic enquiry, policy and everyday life – IAS Decennial Conference 2016
Celebrating the IAS’s 10th anniversary, this conference will follow the model of the successful event that the Institute hosted in July 2014. As well as drawing delegates from around the world, the conference welcomes former IAS Fellows back to Durham to convene panels and participate in related activities
Wednesday 30 September 2015
Thursday 1 October 2015
Friday 2 October 2015
Tuesday 13 October 2015
- IAS Fellow's Public Lecture - Evidence and Emotion: Feelings at Work in Twentieth Century Britain 5:30pm to 6:30pm, Lindisfarne Centre, St Aidan's College, Professor Claire Langhamer, University of Sussex, Contact email@example.com
Tuesday 20 October 2015
- IAS Fellow's Public Lecture - Evidence for the Largest Volcanic Eruptions from the Tiniest of Bubbles and Crystals 5:30pm to 6:30pm, Ustinov Room, Van Mildert College, Professor James E Gardner, the University of Texas at Austin, USA, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +44 (0)191 334 2589
- CALL FOR PANELS - Evidence On Trial: weighing the value of evidence in academic enquiry, policy and everyday life - http://t.co/dplk7rb22O
Tweeted on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:13:16 +0100
- RT @trebornotrab: Evidence of Animal Minds, Durham symposium 2016 @DurhamIAS https://t.co/FXxsHFjK5p
Tweeted on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:11:08 +0100
- Kaleidoscope PG journal 'Call for Editors' - one week left until application deadline (see: https://t.co/payGMDdroj)
Tweeted on Fri, 29 May 2015 07:24:36 +0100
- #DurhamIAS – Recruitment for the 2016/17 IAS Research Fellowship closes on 5 June – see: http://t.co/4rJFI1fDct Theme is SCALE.
Tweeted on Wed, 27 May 2015 15:53:08 +0100
- Tipping points come under the microscope at the IAS's annual London event 4 June, 7.30pm, ICAEW, One Moorgate Place http://t.co/KczIQgw1UH
Tweeted on Tue, 26 May 2015 17:15:47 +0100