Leave & Holidays
Members of staff receive generous holiday entitlement as well as family-friendly leave and research leave.
To find out more, click on the links below:
Our generous annual leave entitlement is in addition to customary days and bank holidays.
Adoption leave is available for parents when adopting - based on our maternity and paternity leave.
We offer an excellent occupational maternity leave scheme with enhanced benefits for eligible staff.
Eligible members of staff may take paid paternity leave and may be eligible for Additional Paternity Leave.
Periods of paid leave can be given to staff who are bereaved to attend or arrange a funeral of a family member.
Eligible staff may take a period of unpaid leave to care for each child born or adopted.
Research leave is a highly prized aspect of Durham's support for academic research.
At the discretion of their Head of Department, staff may take paid leave to deal with a dependent in unexpected or emergency situations.
The University has a number of customary days per year that staff can benefit from in addition to their annual leave.
Shared Parental Leave is designed to give eligible parents greater flexibility when considering how best to care for, and bond with, their child.
Heads of Department can grant academic staff paid leave of absence of up to 10 working days provided assigned duties are covered.
- Human Resources & Organisation Development
- Oracle Fusion Self-Service Portal
- Business Support Services
- Induction for New Staff
- HR Policy Homepage
- Realising Your Potential Approach
- Pay, Pensions & Reward
- My Benefits
- Salary Sacrifice Schemes
- Health & Wellbeing
- Payroll Giving
- Staff Credit Union
- Leave & Holidays
- InDurham Loyalty Card
- Transport & Travel Discounts
- Financial Education & Wellbeing Resources
- Cycle to Work & Cycling Offers
- Health Cash Plans
- Discounted Private Medical Cover
- Events & Collegiate Involvement
- University Library, Museums & Attractions
- Local Discounts
- My Benefits
- Research Staff
- Equality and Diversity
- Immigration & Eligibility to Work Policy & Guidance
- Workforce Planning
- Occupational Health Services
- Academic Progression 2020/21
- Coaching & Mentoring
- External Coaching Framework
- Further Resources
- Visitors to Durham University
- Organisation Development
- Annual Development Review (ADR)
- 2017 Staff Survey
- Gender Pay Gap
- Enhanced Redundancy Scheme
- Faculty and Department Operations Review
- Colleges and Catering Operations Review