Process for Departments & Visitors
Following engagement with an Academic, Research or approved Visitor
the host Department must:
- Inform the Departmental Administrator who will allocate desk space and a PC if necessary
- Complete a basic Visitor Notification Form available below in Resources and submit, along with a copy of the written support from an identified host or academic sponsor (a member of academic staff) in the Department and a copy of the invitation letter sent to the Academic or Research Visitor by the University (see Academic Visitors page), to the UKVI Team in Human Resources email@example.com .
- If the Visitor is from the EEA, the department must see sight of the visitors original ID documents and send a copy to HR, dated and signed to veify they have see a copy of the original. Once verified the Visitor will be set up and an IT account can be created for the Visitor.
ONCE THE DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN SENT TO HR PLEASE DO NOT RETAIN THE COPIES OF PERSONAL DATA IN THE DEPARTMENT
- If the Visitor is non-EEA, HR will then send a letter to the individual stating their obligations, they must return a signed acceptance. Overseas visitors will be required to attend for an enhanced check prior to be setting up the HR system to ensure they have met UKVI requirements. An appointment should be booked by the individual once their visa has been approved and travel arrangements have been made by clicking on the following link https://www.dur.ac.uk/immigration/workinginuk/staffcheck/
- Provide a basic induction for the individual on their arrival including but not limited to, Health & Safety training, Data Protection training and any local procedures and policies
Please note: an IT account cannot be created until the individual has been entered onto the HR system. IT accounts will be closed automatically at the end of the visit, however if the individual has, for instance, generated research data that they require access to following the visit the account may be extended for a period of up to 12 months upon completion of a continuation form – this is the responsibility of the host Department.
- Visitor Notification Form (last modified: 13 November 2018)
Process for Visitors
The following points are the responsibility of the Visitor:
- Have written support from an identified academic sponsor (a member of academic staff) in the host Department and be invited in writing by the University
- Correct visa, if relevant, is sought and UKVI clearance is received. An enhanced check with Human Resources may be necessary upon arrival
- Ensure that you have enough funds to pay for your bench fees and support yourself whilst in Durham
- Have a plan of research activity for the duration of the visit
The University has a dedicated Relocation Manager, Stina Maynard, who is available to offer guidance on your visit to Durham. Stina can work alongside you to provide support with your domestic arrangements, accommodation search, area information and useful tips for living in the UK to help you settle into the area as smoothly as possible. Please telephone +44 (0) 191 334 6417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.