News and Events
The GPI seminar series is cofunded by the European Research Council.
Dr Gleider Hernández receives a Fulbright Scholar Award to the US
Dr Gleider Hernández, Deputy Director of the Global Policy Institute & Associate Professor (Reader) in Public International Law at Durham Law School, has received a Fulbright All-Disciplines Scholar Award to enable him to conduct research at Harvard Law School, at the Institute for Global Law and Policy, on one of the most well-regarded and impactful scholarship programmes in the world.
Dr Hernández has received the Fulbright Award in support of his current research on authority structures in international law. He research project seeks to develop a conceptual framework through which the international legal order is re-imagined as structure through which States and other international actors construct and defend claims to authority through the use of legal discourse. In 2015, Dr Hernández was awarded an AHRC Research Leadership Fellowship in support of the research that has led to this project.
As part of the Fulbright Visiting Scholar programme, the Scholar Awards provide the only scholarships available to academics and other professionals for lecturing and/or research in any discipline at any accredited US university. The Awards form part of the US-UK Fulbright Commission’s work to promote leadership, learning and empathy between nations through educational exchange.
Commenting on receiving the Award, Dr Hernández said: ‘I was over the moon to receive the email that I was awarded a Fulbright Scholar Award to spend a semester at Harvard. International law is—or should aspire to be—a truly global discipline and a period of study in the United States will propel my research agenda forward, I believe that this award gives me the opportunity to refine my arguments but equally, to benefit from the cultural and professional opportunities afforded by being immersed in the US academic space for a time. I am genuinely excited at this tremendous opportunity.
Dr Hernández and the other 46 British grantees of the 2018-19 Fulbright cohort will celebrate their success at a reception hosted by the US Embassy in June.
Penny Egan CBE, Executive Director, US-UK Fulbright Commission, commented:
“In the US-UK Fulbright Commission’s 70th year, we can look back on the lasting impact that more than 27,000 educational exchanges between Brits and Americans have had – both on participants and on our two countries. We know that this cohort of Scholars will make the most of this opportunity to immerse themselves in another culture, develop ongoing partnerships, and move us closer to fulfilling Senator Fulbright’s vision of a world of peace and prosperity through greater understanding between our peoples.”
Thursday 20 September 2018
- Global Policy North Conference: The Challenge of Brexit for the North 8:45am to 6:30pm, School of Music, University Of Leeds, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday 20 February 2018
- 'Putting the Liberal Back into Liberal Democracy' - Prof. Albert Weale 4:00pm to 6:00pm, IM222, Al-Qasimi Building, Contact email@example.com
Tuesday 13 February 2018
- GPI Seminar: The Human Right to Colonize - Nicola Perugini (Edinburgh) 3:30pm to 5:30pm, IM222, Al-Qasimi Building, Nicola Perugini (Edinburgh), Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday 22 November 2017
- Seminar: Deal or NO Deal - Prospects for the Iranian Nuclear Agreement 12:30pm to 3:30pm, Room 102, Al-Qasimi Building
Thursday 16 November 2017
- GPI Seminar: ‘Inside and outside law: The justification of authority' 4:30pm to 6:30pm, Lindisfarne Centre, St Aidan's College, Contact Matteo.email@example.com
Friday 10 November 2017
Tuesday 10 October 2017
Friday 23 June 2017
- Global Justice Meets Global Democracy Workshop until 5:00pm, ER148 - Elvet Riverside
Thursday 22 June 2017
- Global Justice Meets Global Democracy Workshop 9:00am onwards, ER148 - Elvet Riverside
Tuesday 16 May 2017
Tuesday 9 May 2017
Tuesday 2 May 2017
- GPI Seminar: Prof. Jesse Tomalty 2:00pm to 4:00pm, Anne Galbraith Boardroom, Durham Law School, Prof. Jesse Tomalty, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- GPI Annual Lecture 2017: Judge Christopher Greenwood 4:30pm to 7:00pm, Hogan Lovells Lecture Theatre, Durham Law School
Tuesday 14 March 2017
Wednesday 8 March 2017
Tuesday 17 January 2017
Tuesday 22 November 2016
Wednesday 9 November 2016
Thursday 27 October 2016
Tuesday 11 October 2016
Wednesday 15 June 2016
Tuesday 31 May 2016
Monday 16 May 2016
Wednesday 4 May 2016
Tuesday 3 May 2016
Tuesday 26 April 2016
Monday 25 April 2016
- Conference: Beyond our Comfort Zone? Situating the authority of international lawyers, institutions, & other international actors. 11:30am to 7:00pm, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Charles Clore House, 17 Russell Square, London WC1B 5JP.
Tuesday 8 March 2016
Tuesday 23 February 2016
Monday 5 October 2015
- GPI Annual Lecture - Dani Rodrik 2:00pm to 4:00pm, Hogan Lovell's Lecture Theatre, Law School, Dani Rodrik