Dr Majid Bastankhah
(email at email@example.com)
Majid is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering in the Department of Engineering at Durham University. He received a BSc (2009) followed by a MSc (2012) both in Mechanical Engineering from Sharif University of Technology in Iran. He then moved to the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland, where he completed a PhD (2017) in Mechanical Engineering. Prior to joining Durham in 2018, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the Wind Engineering and Renewable Energy (WiRE) Laboratory at EFPL.
Majid's main research interest is wind energy aerodynamics. In his research, he employs theoretical, numerical and experimental approaches to study and improve the performance of wind turbines and their complex interactions with turbulent flows. In particular, Majid is interested in conducting laboratory experiments to study scaled-down wind turbines and wind farms under fully controlled conditions. He also complements these experimental studies with mathematical modelling to extract useful information that can be applied outside the laboratory in real world problems.
Motivated master students and prospective PhD students who are interested in wind energy aerodynamics are welcome to get in touch directly for more information on available projects.
Honors and Awards
(2017) Earth Sciences and Engineering Award for the best publication in the field of environmental engineering (link), EPFL, Switzerland.
(2014) Outstanding Poster (OSP) Award (link), EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria.
(2014) Best Poster Presentation (link), 21st Symposium on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, Leeds.
(2013) Best Poster Award (link), Green days, EPFL, Switzerland
(2009) National Gold Medal in the Mechanical Engineering Olympiad (link), Iran.
(2009) Ranked 1st in the Nationwide M.Sc. Entrance Exam in Mechanical Engineering (link) among more than 15000 participants, Iran.
- Wind Energy Aerodynamics
- Experimental Fluid Mechanics
- Turbulent Flows
- Atmospheric Boundary Layer Flows
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porte-Agel, Fernando (2016), Analytical modeling of turbine wakes in yawed conditions, European Geosciences Union (EGU). Vienna, Austria.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porte-Agel, Fernando (2014), A new analytical model for wind turbine wakes, International Conference on Aerodynamics of Offshore Wind Energy Systems and Wakes (ICOWES 2013). Lyngby, Denmark.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porte-Agel, Fernando (2014), A wind-tunnel investigation of wind-turbine wakes in different yawed and loaded conditions, European Geosciences Union (EGU). Vienna, Austria.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porte-Agel, Fernando (2014), Effects of positive versus negative yaw angles on wind-turbine performance: an application of BEM theory, European Geosciences Union (EGU). Vienna, Austria.
- Bastankhah, Majid, Dios Romero, Isabele & Porte-Agel, Fernando (2014), Optimization of wind farm performance based on yaw angle control, 21st Symposium on Boundary Layers and Turbulence (BLT). Leeds, UK.
- Porte-Agel, Fernando, Bastankhah, Majid & Shamsoddin, Sina (2020). Wind-Turbine and Wind-Farm Flows: A Review. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 174: 1-59.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Abkar, Mahdi (2019). Multirotor wind turbine wakes. Physics of Fluids 31(8): 085106.
- Aubrun, S., Bastankhah, M., Cal, R.B., Conan, B., Hearst, R.J., Hoek, D., Hölling, M., Huang, M., Hur, C, Karlsen, B., Neunaber, I., Obligado, M., Peinke, J., Percin, M., Saetran, L., Schito, P, Schliffke, B., Sims-Williams, D.B., Uzol, O., Vinnes, M.K. & Zasso, A. (2019). Round-robin tests of porous disc models. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 1256: 012004.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porté-Agel, Fernando (2019). Wind farm power optimization via yaw angle control: A wind tunnel study. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 11(2): 023301.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porte-Agel, Fernando (2017). A New Miniature Wind Turbine for Wind Tunnel Experiments. Part I: Design and Performance. Energies 10(7): 908.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porté-Agel, Fernando (2017). A New Miniature Wind Turbine for Wind Tunnel Experiments. Part II: Wake Structure and Flow Dynamics. Energies 10(7): 923.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porté-Agel, Fernando (2017). Wind tunnel study of the wind turbine interaction with a boundary-layer flow: Upwind region, turbine performance, and wake region. Physics of Fluids 29(6): 065105.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porté-Agel, Fernando (2016). Experimental and theoretical study of wind turbine wakes in yawed conditions. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 806: 506-541.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porté-Agel, Fernando (2015). A wind-tunnel investigation of wind-turbine wakes in yawed conditions. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 625: 012014.
- Bastankhah, Majid & Porté-Agel, Fernando (2014). A new analytical model for wind-turbine wakes. Renewable Energy 70: 116-123.