Publication details for Professor Simon HoggAuld, Alison, Berson, Arganthaël & Hogg, Simon I. (2013). Organic Rankine cycles in waste heat recovery: a comparative study. International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies 8(Supplement 1): 9-18.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1748-1317, 1748-1325
- DOI: 10.1093/ijlct/ctt033
- Keywords: Organic Rankine cycles, Waste heat recovery.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A theoretical study of organic Rankine cycles (ORCs) powered by three different waste heat sources is presented. The heat sources, all found in industrial processes, span a range of energy scales capable of powering ORCs from ∼10 kW to 10 MW. A novel method of pinch point analysis is presented, allowing variable heat input to the ORC. This study models the ORC over a range of operating conditions and with different working fluids for each heat source. Results from each source are compared to assess the influence of different heat source characteristics on optimal ORC design.