Dr Stefan Szyniszewski
(email at email@example.com)
After graduating in Structural Engineering from the Warsaw University of Technology, Stefan studied for an MSc in Simulation Techniques in Mechanical Engineering at RWTH-Aachen (Germany). Subsequently, he worked as a research engineer on rock-shed protective structures over highways in Kanazawa, Japan (2003-05). Szyniszewski then studied for PhD at the University of Florida (2009), where he developed an energy flow approach to the progressive collapse of framed structures. Stefan also described the propagation of column buckling waves in framed structures during the progressive collapse. He then spent two years in industry, working for Bechtel Power Corporation and Areva on the design of a new generation of nuclear power plants in the United States. Szyniszewski achieved a Professional Engineer (PE) status in California (2011), which is equivalent to Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK. Stefan returned to academia as a post-doctoral research fellow at the Johns Hopkins University, where he studied cellular metals and 3D woven lattice materials (DARPA funded project). Stefan developed homogenized models of cellular structures and derived analytical formulas for the ultimate buckling capacity of sandwich panels with metallic foam core. Szyniszewski also developed models of framed structures under dynamic and extreme loads for the Applied Physics Lab (APL). Subsequently, Stefan returned to Europe and joined the University of Surrey as a lecturer in Material and Structures in 2012. Stefan was appointed as an Assistant Professor at Durham University in 2019.
- Salari-Sharif, Ladan, Ryan, Stephen M., Pelacci, Manuel, Guest, James K., Valdevit, Lorenzo & Szyniszewski, Stefan (2018). Damping of selectively bonded 3D woven lattice materials. Scientific Reports 8(1).
- Liu, Z., Jacques, C. C., Szyniszewski, S., Guest, J. K., Schafer, B. W., Igusa, T. & Mitrani-Reiser, J. (2016). Agent-Based Simulation of Building Evacuation after an Earthquake: Coupling Human Behavior with Structural Response. Natural Hazards Review 17(1): 04015019.
- Ryan, Stephen M., Szyniszewski, Stefan, Ha, Seunghyun, Xiao, Rui, Nguyen, Thao D., Sharp, Keith W., Weihs, Timothy P., Guest, James K. & Hemker, Kevin J. (2015). Damping behavior of 3D woven metallic lattice materials. Scripta Materialia 106: 1.
- Szyniszewski, S.T., Smith, B.H., Hajjar, J.F., Schafer, B.W. & Arwade, S.R. (2014). The mechanical properties and modeling of a sintered hollow sphere steel foam. Materials & Design (1980-2015) 54: 1083.
- Smith, Brooks, Szyniszewski, Stefan, Hajjar, Jerome, Schafer, Benjamin & Arwade, Sanjay (2012). Characterization of Steel Foams for Structural Components. Metals 2(4): 399.
- Szyniszewski, Stefan & Krauthammer, Ted (2012). Energy flow in progressive collapse of steel framed buildings. Engineering Structures 42: 142.
- Szyniszewski, S., Smith, B.H., Hajjar, J.F., Arwade, S.R. & Schafer, B.W. (2012). Local buckling strength of steel foam sandwich panels. Thin-Walled Structures 59: 11.
- Smith, B.H., Szyniszewski, S., Hajjar, J.F., Schafer, B.W. & Arwade, S.R. (2012). Steel foam for structures: A review of applications, manufacturing and material properties. Journal of Constructional Steel Research 71: 1.
- Szyniszewski, Stefan, Akada, Tomoya, Masuya, Hiroshi & Kajikawa, Yasua (2004). Numerical Simulation of a Concrete Plate subjected to Impact Load. Journal of applied mechanics 7: 635.