Opportunity for Industry to shape energy materials research and training
(3 November 2020)
Renewable Energy Northeast Universities Centre for Doctoral Training (ReNU CDT) trains exceptional PhD students in Renewable Energy materials science, experimental techniques, and innovation. ReNU is seeking to broaden and deepen its relationships with industry with opportunities for industry to contribute to training, to propose research projects and to shape the skills sets developed.
What is ReNU CDT?
Renewable Energy Northeast Universities Centre for Doctoral Training (ReNU CDT) is a £5.5m doctoral training programme in Energy Materials funded by EPSRC. The project is a partnership between Northumbria, Newcastle and Durham Universities which builds upon the significant breadth of expertise and recent successes in national Energy Materials research funding.
ReNU CDT will train more than 60 PhD students over 9 years to satisfy the UK’s need for highly-skilled researchers in renewable and distributed energy.
The training provided goes beyond that provided in a normal PhD to include a mini-MBA, responsible innovation training, researcher skills and specialist modules on energy materials and experimental techniques.
The scientific focus of ReNU CDT are the materials science issues that underpin future renewable energy technologies in the following areas:
- Fuel cells and Hydrogen
- Wind/marine turbines
- Smart Grids and Systems
- Solar and Bio fuels
- Batteries and Storage
How can industry get involved and what are the benefits?
We are seeking to broaden and deepen our relationships with industry. These relationships might take the form of:
1) Delivering some training, a seminar, or workshop: We aim to provide our students with both a breadth and depth in knowledge of energy materials, the wider energy system, and the business environment in which it operates – and we would be delighted to welcome further contributions from our partners.
2) Proposing and/or collaborating on research. Match funding available.
3) Telling us what skills your industry needs.
Benefits to industry of participating in ReNU CDT
- It gives greater visibility of your company to our highly trained students.
- Match funding towards the cost of a PhD scholarship for industry proposed collaborative projects.
- A convenient way to begin or develop a research collaboration with our leading Durham academics.
- Opportunity to pitch energy materials related short projects for our students to work on as part of the training programme.
Find out more at: https://renu.northumbria.ac.uk/