Find out about some of the previous events held by Durham Energy Institute:
“Which way should the wind blow for our national grid?Integrating more wind into the electricity system” DONG Energy - DEI Public Debate
Key players in the energy sector will debate the challenges of integrating more wind into the grid, the range of available solutions and the implications for energy policy.
The expert panel represents: EnergyUK, Flexitricity, National Grid, DONG Energy UK and Durham University Energy Institute.
Wind is identified as the major source for renewable electricity in 2050 by the UK Government. Growth in the wind sector is necessary to achieve targets to deliver 15% of our energy demand from renewable sources by 2020. However integrating increased amounts of wind power into the national grid will require changes to the electricity system and the way it is run.
Recent media coverage of the issue has been fraught with debate and littered with inaccuracies around reliability and costs.
This debate will allow key players in the energy sector to discuss the challenges we really face, the range of available solutions and the implications for energy policy. It’s also a chance for members of the public to have their say and have their questions and comments answered.
- How much wind power can ultimately be integrated into the GB network?
- What solutions are there to deal with the fluctuations in wind power generation?
- Does the regulation and operation of the GB electricity system need to change to accommodate more wind into the system?
- Are the media giving the right messages to the public about wind energy?
- What are the costs and what impact does this have on consumers?
Confirmed speakers are:
- Barbara Vest – EnergyUK (Director of Generation)
- Dr Alastair Martin – Flexitricity
- Vandad Hamidi – National Grid (Director of Smart Frequency Control)
- Bo Hesselbæk – DONG Energy UK (Head of Electrical System Analysis)
- Prof Tooraj Jamasb – Durham University Energy Institute (Chair in Energy Economics)
Submit your own questions to the panel through the event registration page or via twitter on @DONGEnergyUK using the hashtag: #WindIntegration
Come join the debate, we want to talk energy!
Book your FREE place at this exciting event Eventbrite or 0191 334 2649
Contact email@example.com for more information about this event.