Publication details for Patrick DoreyDorey, Patrick & Romańczukiewicz, Tomasz (2018). Resonant kink-antikink scattering through quasinormal modes. Physics Letters B 779: 117-123.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0370-2693
- DOI: 10.1016/j.physletb.2018.02.003
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We investigate the role that quasinormal modes can play in kink–antikink collisions, via an example based on a deformation of the ϕ4 model. We find that narrow quasinormal modes can store energy during collision processes and later return it to the translational degrees of freedom. Quasinormal modes also decay, which leads to energy leakage, causing a closing of resonance windows and an increase of the critical velocity. We observe similar phenomena in an effective model, a small modification of the collective-coordinate approach to the ϕ4 model.