Publication details for Patrick DoreyArthur, Robert, Dorey, Patrick & Parini, Robert (2016). Breaking integrability at the boundary: the sine-Gordon model with Robin boundary conditions. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 49(16): 165205.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1751-8113 (print), 1751-8121 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1088/1751-8113/49/16/165205
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We explore boundary scattering in the sine-Gordon model with a non-integrable family of Robin boundary conditions. The soliton content of the field after collision is analysed using a numerical implementation of the direct scattering problem associated with the inverse scattering method. We find that an antikink may be reflected into various combinations of an antikink, a kink, and one or more breathers, depending on the values of the initial antikink velocity and a parameter associated with the boundary condition. In addition we observe regions with an intricate resonance structure arising from the creation of an intermediate breather whose recollision with the boundary is highly dependent on the breather phase.