Centre for Particle Theory
The Centre for Particle Theory has won an international reputation for its research. It unites the theoretical particle physics groups in the Physics and Maths Departments. It aims to foster research into all aspects of theoretical particle physics ranging from phenomenology to string theory and cosmology, and to educate the next generation of theoretical particle physicists with a comprehensive and in-depth lecture programme and PhD supervision in all areas of the subject.
Strategic importance and added value
The Centre for Particle Theory is one of the largest particle theory groups within the UK (and larger than many departments in Durham). It covers nearly the whole spectrum of modern particle theory research. It provides a critical mass of research excellence, and offers an in-depth training programme for the next generation of PhD students. The CPT is responsible for the MSc in Elementary Particle Theory, with a coherent programme of over 200 lectures on topics in mathematical physics and elementary particle theory, intended to take students from undergraduate degree level to the frontiers of research. Its activities include:
F. Aprile, J.M. Drummond, P. Heslop and H. Paul
Fabian Maucher and Paul Sutcliffe
Matteo Leo, Carlton M. Baugh, Baojiu Li and Silvia Pascoli
Christoph Englert, Gabriele Ferretti and Michael Spannowsky
Richard Ruiz, Michael Spannowsky and Philip Waite
Maths HEP lunchtime seminars:
- 11 May 2017 14:00: Thomas Cridge, "Supersymmetric decays in SoftSusy"
- 18 May 2017 14:00: Giovanni Ridolfi, "Combined threshold and transverse momentum resummation for inclusive observables"
- 25 May 2017 14:00: José Miguel No, "Dark matter searches @LHC: Making a case for the pseudoscalar portal"
- 08 June 2017 14:00: Dr. Matthew Wingate, "Lattice QCD calculation of B meson decay form factors and mixing matrix elements"
- 12 June 2017 14:00: Shoaib Munir, "Light Exotic Higgs bosons at the LHC Run-II"
- 30 June 2017 14:00: Simone Bifani, "Search for new physics with b→sℓ+ℓ− decays at LHCb"
- 25 July 2017 14:00: Ambresh Shivaji, "Higgs self coupling determination from single Higgs production and decay"
CPT Student Seminar
There are no seminars in this series for the dates selected.