Centre for Particle Theory
The Centre for Particle Theory has won an international reputation for its research. It unites the theoretical particle physics groups in the Physics and Maths Departments. It aims to foster research into all aspects of theoretical particle physics ranging from phenomenology to string theory and cosmology, and to educate the next generation of theoretical particle physicists with a comprehensive and in-depth lecture programme and PhD supervision in all areas of the subject.
Strategic importance and added value
The Centre for Particle Theory is one of the largest particle theory groups within the UK (and larger than many departments in Durham). It covers nearly the whole spectrum of modern particle theory research. It provides a critical mass of research excellence, and offers an in-depth training programme for the next generation of PhD students. The CPT is responsible for the MSc in Elementary Particle Theory, with a coherent programme of over 200 lectures on topics in mathematical physics and elementary particle theory, intended to take students from undergraduate degree level to the frontiers of research. Its activities include:
D. Chicherin, R. Doobary, B. Eden, P. Heslop, G.P. Korchemsky, L. Mason and E. Sokatchev
Patrick Dorey, Guy Siviour and Gabor Takacs
Felix M. Haehl, Thomas Hartman, Donald Marolf, Henry Maxfield and Mukund Rangamani
Andy Buckley, James Ferrando, Stephen Lloyd, Karl Nordstrom, Ben Page, Martin Ruefenacht, Marek Schoenherr and Graeme Watt
Alan J. Barr, Matthew J. Dolan, Christoph Englert, Danilo Enoque Ferreira de Lima and Michael Spannowsky
Maths HEP lunchtime seminars:
- 29 April 2015 12:00: Higher Spins and Strings - Matthias Gaberdiel, ETH Zurich
- 1 May 2015 13:00: On-shell methods and integrability - Andreas Brandhuber, QMUL
- 8 May 2015 13:00: Entanglement entropy in a holographic model of the Kondo effect - Mario Flory, MPI Munich
- 22 May 2015 13:00: TBA - Benson Way, DAMTP, Cambridge.
- 04 December 2014 14:00: Gudrun Heinrich, "Precision calculations for the LHC and Beyond"
- 05 December 2014 14:00: Fady Bishara, "Dark matter and flavor"
- 11 December 2014 14:00: Florian Staub, "One-Loop Flavour Observables and Two-Loop Higgs Masses for free"
- 22 January 2015 14:00: Patrick Peter, "Testing Quantum Mechanics with Cosmology"
- 29 January 2015 14:00: Luigi Del Debbio, "Nonperturbative IR fixed points from lattice simulations"
- 05 February 2015 14:00: Anupam Mazumdar, "TBA"
- 12 February 2015 14:00: Andrea Banfi, "A general method for final-state resummations in QCD"
- 26 February 2015 14:00: Florian Goertz, "TBA"
- 05 March 2015 14:00: Simon Badger, "TBA"
- 12 March 2015 14:00: Ian Shoemaker, "TBA"
- 30 April 2015 14:00: Philip Burrows, "The International Linear Collider Higgs Factory"
- 07 May 2015 14:00: Stefan Dittmaier, "TBA"
- 14 May 2015 14:00: Andreas Juettner, "TBA"
- 28 May 2015 14:00: Wouter Waalewijn, "TBA"
CPT Student Seminar